Starter Removal

/ Starter Removal #1  

thisdj1

Tractor
Case Dx 45 Cab
Does anyone have any tips or tricks on removing the starter on a 2006 DX45 with factory cab? I am needing to add the additional relay to the starting system but haven't figured out the best way to get the starter off or what wrenches I may need. Thanks for the help!

/ Starter Removal #2  
Why would adding a relay require removing the starter? Sounds like you must be after something most folks don't do when simply adding a relay.

/ Starter Removal
It's for the starter fix on these and the New Holland tractors. The power is gained off of the battery terminal of the solenoid and the input wire on the solenoid is interrupted with a relay. It allows a more reliable start after the 3 safety device relays can sometimes lower the voltage enough that it won't engage the solenoid. This corrects the problem. It was a C-NH Service bulletin several years ago for intermittent starting.

/ Starter Removal #4  
thisdj1, I also tried the recommended 'relay' fix for my NH1920 and continued to have starter voltage problems. These NH wiring harnesses are very problematic. I eventually bypassed my harness completely and installed a push button starter on the dash with 12V wiring going to both the battery post and the solenoid spade. My current starting routine is to fire the glow plugs for a few seconds and turn the ignition switch to 'on' position (not start) to open the fuel solenoid, and then push the button to shunt battery voltage from the starter post to the solenoid spade. Been starting flawlessly for 2 years. WARNING: The push button bypasses all safety devices and will engage the starter any time it is pushed, so you must be very careful with this 'fix'.

/ Starter Removal #5  
p.s. I changed my starter 3 times before I installed the recommended 'relay' fix and then the push-button by-pass. There was never a problem with the original starter and could have avoided all starter change-outs with the push-button 'fix'.