Starting A Diesel,, After Three Years Of Sitting,,,What To Do Special??

/ Starting A Diesel,, After Three Years Of Sitting,,,What To Do Special?? #1  

CADplans

Elite Member
Tractor
584 IH 4WD
We just purchased a Kubota D640 powered Cub Cadet.
That engine is the 3 cylinder 0.64 liter diesel.

The machine has sat in a covered shed for 3 years,,,

I plan on pushing it on a trailer, and bringing it home.

What should we do, before we try to start the tractor??

:confused2: HELP!! :confused:

Thank you!! :thumbsup:

/ Starting A Diesel,, After Three Years Of Sitting,,,What To Do Special?? #2  
Fresh fuel, fuel filter, fresh engine oil. Inspect hydraulic fluid for water. Air in tires. Test and either replace or charge the battery. Cross fingers and start!

/ Starting A Diesel,, After Three Years Of Sitting,,,What To Do Special?? #3  
I've started diesel engines that have sat outside for 15 years. Loosen the plugs for the oil drains to check for water. Don't take them all the way out. Just turn a few turns to see if there's any water. If no water tighten plugs back up and start the engine. Usually the fuel is good enough to start the engine with. It wouldn't hurt to check the fuel too for water but most likely the filters will catch the water in the unlikely event that there's water in the fuel.

I know I would be driving it on the trailer. You should warm the oils up anyways before you change them.

/ Starting A Diesel,, After Three Years Of Sitting,,,What To Do Special?? #4  
I’d check all the fluids and see if it’ll start. Once you hook up some booster cables it probably will.

/ Starting A Diesel,, After Three Years Of Sitting,,,What To Do Special?? #5  
I’d check all the fluids and see if it’ll start. Once you hook up some booster cables it probably will.

I’m with ya. Check oil for correct level and make sure it’s not milky, put a hot battery in and drive it on the trailer.

Brett

/ Starting A Diesel,, After Three Years Of Sitting,,,What To Do Special?? #6  
If it doesn't start after a few cranks, don't give up.. its MUCH easier to drive on than pull/push on..
Take a few metric wrenches w/ you..
You'll probably have to bleed the air out of the lines.?
Loosen the fuel FEED line going into the injection pump.. some have an electr. lift/supply pump.. turn the key on & listen for a pump running..
If it has one, loosening the line at the inj. pump & turning the key on will purge the air out.. Now tighten.
Loosen ALL the lines AT THE INJECTORS & crank the engine until fuel squirts out of there & tighten..
Use the glow plugs if it has them & fire it up..
Good luck..

/ Starting A Diesel,, After Three Years Of Sitting,,,What To Do Special?? #7  
Make the aforementioned checks and drive it on the trailer.

/ Starting A Diesel,, After Three Years Of Sitting,,,What To Do Special?? #8  
If it doesn't start after a few cranks, don't give up.. its MUCH easier to drive on than pull/push on..
Take a few metric wrenches w/ you..
You'll probably have to bleed the air out of the lines.?
Loosen the fuel FEED line going into the injection pump.. some have an electr. lift/supply pump.. turn the key on & listen for a pump running..
If it has one, loosening the line at the inj. pump & turning the key on will purge the air out.. Now tighten.
Loosen ALL the lines AT THE INJECTORS & crank the engine until fuel squirts out of there & tighten..
Use the glow plugs if it has them & fire it up..
Good luck..

I have been wondering about this issue for a good while.
Still have my dad's 1981 Rabbit diesel pickup, which is up on blocks in my barn (for 25 years).
From these posts I am assuming that I may be able to get it started with just a new battery.
It is nearly cherry, and I really should sell it.

/ Starting A Diesel,, After Three Years Of Sitting,,,What To Do Special?? #9  
I seriously doubt the injectors lost prim over that period. 3 years isn’t that long. Tractor dealers have stuff sitting on their used lot for longer than that and they don’t do anything except air up the tires and boost the battery.

/ Starting A Diesel,, After Three Years Of Sitting,,,What To Do Special?? #10  
Check air filter and air intake hose for any obstructions from critters. My 4310 ran fine but one day upon checking the air filter minder was in the red, checked the filter and it looked fine so I reset the minder. Restarted the tractor and it pegged in the red again. Pulled the intake to find as many acorns as you could possibly find stuffed in there. No idea how they got there, did not seem like a squirt could make it past the filter any way but I tell you they were there. I have no idea how long I ran it with them in there, she never got hot or lost power but I am sure it was not ideal.
Now I check my filter minder ar more often and I check the intake tube leading to the head.

Best of luck.