Starting a neglected engine

/ Starting a neglected engine #11  
oh, oh,...do I suspect a little sarcasm there Egon? Surely I don't know you "that" well yet,.... so I could be mistaken? (prolly just that "coaster" sense of humour,...eh?, ha, ha!)

Good thinking Kenstrac,...critter nests are usually built with easily combustible materials,.....in the darndest locations!

I would guess from the sounds of "us",.... that many of us have been in a very similar position at one time or another Bill,.... or at least been in a position to have some experience with this sort of thing,.. so good luck once more!

CHEERS!
. . tug

/ Starting a neglected engine #12  
I've been working in the automotive repair field professionally for over 15 years, and had many customers that had problems with vehicles after extended storage. I suspect the problems are worse here on the east coast than in the desert, having high humidity, rain that has a lower ph level due to the power plants slightly to our west being fueled by coal, and drastic weather changes that allow for 70 degrees one week and in the teens the next. That coupled with condensation and lack of bringing the vehicle to running temps, the only place I think would be worse is on salt treated roads and on the beach. I don't know, but I work on a lot of makes and models from Kia's to Bentley's and everything in between, and not all will have the problems associated with the preventive measures that I have written about on my earlier post, but I've seen them all on differant makes. Vehicles found in barns that their grandparents or parents left them, childhood taxi's with sentimental value, that they want to get running and drive around on sundays. Usually checking all this stuff prevents much much more costly repairs later like warped rotors, out of round drums, leaking p/s pumps and gear boxes, transmission problems, scorched cylinder walls, major oil leaks, busted lines leading to accidents etc. If the OP was in the desert there'd probably be a lot less to do, but in West Virginia.. I live right on the other side of the state line, I know what I'd do.

Oh, and to prevent critters from building nests in exhaust systems, put a stainless steel scouring pad in the tail pipe before storage. They don't like to mess with that stuff, hurts their teeth:D.

/ Starting a neglected engine #13  
I would AT LEAST pull the plugs and spray a whole lotta WD-40 in each cylinder.
Do it again a couple of days later, then try to start it a couple of days after that.

This will give you time to look around at everything else, mouse invasions, etc.
I would lift each wheel in turn and at least see if they rotate freely, might pull calipers to free them up, and/or drums on the back - gee, I guess they could be drum brakes on the front too.
I doubt the battery (or plural) is worth a dam, might as well go shopping for that (/those).

Yeah, you got some catchup to do.

/ Starting a neglected engine
Thanks for your inputs, everyone - and for not dwelling on how stupid I've been to neglect the RV for this long.

I'll try to get out there this weekend and check out the interior / take pictures & let you all know if there's a critter problem.

As far as getting the engine going - that will have to wait a while until the weather warms up a bit. It's 22 outside today & probably about freezing in the barn. Its hard enough to start my regularly used vehicles this time of year.

WVBill

/ Starting a neglected engine #15  
When starting a "dry" engine the best thing to do is pull the distributor and figure out a way to drive the oil pump. I have used the blade from a large, long straight bladed screwdriver or have welded a hex key to the end of a HF long extension, or what ever will fit. Driven by a cordless drill this gets oil everywhere it is needed. If possible I pull the valve covers to be sure the valve gallery is oiling. A few squirts of oil in the spark plug or injector hole is good too

The next best thing is to turn it over a few minutes without letting it fire up. It minimizes the dry wear.

Vernon

/ Starting a neglected engine #16  
It ain't a 454, but I started up a Super C after sitting 15 years. It started right up after replacing starter, rebuilding carb and installing a used battery. New tires all around, a tune up, new seat, new manifold, new muffler and a paint job; complete with decals...I'm ready to go. Now, where do I go? It's too nice to use it.

Good luck with your project....

/ Starting a neglected engine #17  
I like to add atf oil to the cyls, then let em set.. then spin it out, replace plugs and then do the gas treatment mentioned.. and an oil change.. plus air filter.. good luck on the fuel system.

soundguy