Starting/moving issue

/ Starting/moving issue #1  

yanmars

Platinum Member
The New Holland TC40 has this issue. It did not start. Usually right away. Got the operator's manual out. Said one needed to sit on the seat or have the parking brake on to start it. Never needed the parking brake on before as just sitting on it was the safety feature. Tractor in neutral, PTO off. Did not start, put parking brake on and it immediately started. However when the brake was released it stops within 2 seconds. The issue has to be in the safety/weight feature on the seat.
Tried another tactic. Started it with the brake on, moved the release lever just close to being off. Thought I could apply a bit of fuel and the forward pedal on the hydrostatic and pull out of the barn and see what happens. With the parking brake on even a bit the safety features will not let the tractor move forward or backward at all. Releasing the parking brake and it will stop within 2 seconds. The manual says it will do that and it does even with me on the seat.
First time this has ever occurred. Worked a few days ago.
Any thoughts? If I disengage the brake I do not think it will start. I may have to do something to disengage the seat/weight issue but only have an operators manual and not a repair or parts manual. Thanks

/ Starting/moving issue #2  
Have you tried disabling the seat switch?

/ Starting/moving issue #3  
Has something like a tool, towel or gloves gotten between seat and frame? That might not allow seat to contact switch?

/ Starting/moving issue
I looked and did not find anything. If I can access the seat switch I have a connection to bypass it. It is a cab tractor so I will have to see where it is. Always something.

/ Starting/moving issue
Got the issue fixed, someone had put in a bare aluminum wire on the connector so it would not stop when one got off the seat but it became disconnected. Corrected that.

/ Starting/moving issue #6  
Ah so it had already been bypassed. I "fixed" mine the same way because if you bounced enough in the seat while driving the tractor would shut down.