Status of Everything Attachments

/ Status of Everything Attachments #1,711  
Just fyi I used to own a business that accepted credit cards. There was a law in place that the "cash" price could not differ from the "credit" price. Obviously put in place by the credit card lobbyists.

Maybe that is why some don't experience cash discounts?

/ Status of Everything Attachments #1,713  
I think the disconnect is that everyone just sees a number on paper or screen and it means little at that time. If everyone had to pay their income tax as one lump sum once a year or quarterly like business (or self employed) the country would explode.

How many would plan well enough to pay all their income taxes in one go?

/ Status of Everything Attachments #1,714  
Are you surprised given the cost of tickets these days? :eek: What's interesting is some venues don't even issue tickets per se anymore. A couple years ago my wife and a couple friends went to a show of some sort in Boston, you had to somehow get your "ticket" onto a smartphone and present that at the box office. Made it difficult since one of the ladies bought the tickets for the group. Not sure what you'd do if you were a luddite like me and don't have a smartphone.
You not having a smartphone makes you a smart person. I have a feeling more people will stop using smartphones going forward.

/ Status of Everything Attachments #1,715  
I think the disconnect is that everyone just sees a number on paper or screen and it means little at that time. If everyone had to pay their income tax as one lump sum once a year or quarterly like business (or self employed) the country would explode.

How many would plan well enough to pay all their income taxes in one go?
Isn't the the reason they started withholding income tax from paychecks in the first place?

/ Status of Everything Attachments #1,716  
Even New Mexico charges a convenience fee if paying the state via CC or Debit.
The IRS
Pay your taxes by debit or credit card or digital wallet | Internal Revenue Service.

I guess Government surcharging for card payments is acceptable to everyone.
True, they do this when I renew my vehicle registration on online. I just don’t encounter variable prices at local businesses. Sometimes small service businesses such a plumbers have offered me a cash discount, but I am always under the impression they want cash to avoid reporting income.

/ Status of Everything Attachments #1,717  
You not having a smartphone makes you a smart person. I have a feeling more people will stop using smartphones going forward.
Maybe older people. Younger people; not a chance.

/ Status of Everything Attachments #1,718  
I don't think anyone's claiming otherwise, but I can count the number of times I've ever gotten a discount for paying in cash on the fingers of one hand, so I might as well do what's most convenient for me.

Most restaurants around here are locally owned, and I can't think of a single time they've charged me a different price for CC vs cash. I would imagine the vast majority of flea market sellers are doing it under the table, so it makes sense they'd only take cash. I don't do antique shops.

You don't say what your business is, so it's hard to draw any conclusions on how it works cash vs. cc.

You do bring up something I've always wondered about, and that is those cellphone ap "banks" like Chime, etc. The tv ads claim they don't charge any fees, so how do they make money?

Most of what I buy from mom & pop places is relatively inexpensive and just as easy to pay cash so I do. If it was buying something more than $100 or so (say an appliance) I'd use CC. I don't carry large amounts of cash.

I have never heard of a store owner (assuming you could track them down) who would open their store at an odd hour. What kind of "emergency" are you referring to?
The only exception is a neighbor (now retired) who ran an auto repair business out of his home. Often as not he was putzing around in his shop on a Sunday or in the evening anyway and would help out a customer. Even when he was still open, he was souring on the idea...too many people treating him as being open 24/7.

In a small town, If I had water pumping in the basement and needed a valve, the local store owner where I do business would not only let me in, he probably would offer to help. My local farm and tractor store advertises an off-hours number for emergencies. No problem. Never used it buy feel sure they would bring the parts to me if desperate.

I needed a bag of seed from a farm store to finish a commercial seeding job on a Saturday and said I can't make it today. "I'll get it on Monday". When I stopped for lunch that very same day the seed was leaned up again my barn with a note "we'll square up next week". I could go on.

Rules. Don't abuse people and an emergency is a country emergency when several guys with lots of tools are already stumped and not a city or suburb emergency when the kitchen sink is dripping. Plus you need to be a real customer of the guy you're calling and a team player. He can call you too.

Last edited:
   / Status of Everything Attachments #1,719  
Did EA charge extra for CC use or was that a different thread?

/ Status of Everything Attachments #1,720  
Did EA charge extra for CC use or was that a different thread?
No clue- but after reading all the comments from the credit card experts on here I have come to the conclusion that EA went out of business because they were not charging enough. Lol.