steel wheels?

/ steel wheels? #1  

ArlyA

Houghton MI (the Lake Superior snow belt) USA
Tractor
Polaris Boss 6x6 with pods (tracks) Center actuating lawn mower by Husky
Can any of you smart fellows tell us what this sign means? :laughing: This was taken in central SD, just down thwe road from my folks.

Attachments

• steelwheelsprob.jpg
    steelwheelsprob.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 345
Last edited:
   / steel wheels? #2  
Are there any Amish in the area? Just south of here the Amish use steel wheels on their tractors that are very hard on the county roads.

/ steel wheels?
Are there any Amish in the area? Just south of here the Amish use steel wheels on their tractors that are very hard on the county roads.

No Amish in the area, but lots of hutterites although they have no steel wheeled machines to the best of my knowledge.

/ steel wheels? #4  
My long-ago area didn't have any Amish or similar, but it had those signs, referring to old ag implements and tractors.

Bruce

/ steel wheels? #5  
It must be referring to old ag equipment, as suggested. Or to Bulldozers.

/ steel wheels? #6  
It’s just a typo (like your original post)......it’s supposed to read “steal wheels pro-hibited”

I saw this sign in Fresno California. It’s an attempt to deter theft.

/ steel wheels?
OK, some of you guys got it. Its a very, very old sign and meant for steel wheels with lugs.

/ steel wheels? #8  
Over the many years, the wind has done a number on that old sign. The neighbor about three miles north has an old tractor with steel wheels and steel chevrons welded on the rim. It has spoked wheels. One of these days I will stop and take a picture and post.

/ steel wheels? #9  
I still remember those signs on our highways. After WWII There were some tractors and implements that used the steel wheels, and the tractors and Caterpillars had the huge lugs that would destroy a highway. I recall seeing a spot where a steel lugged tractor had been driven across a blacktop. Our signs read: "Tractors with lugs prohibited". I think the signs were removed sometime in the 1960's.

/ steel wheels? #10  
As I recall, when I grew up the signs said "Vehicles with lugs or flanges prohibited." Haven't seen one for many decades.