steering froze

/ steering froze #1  

watersteps

Tractor
David Bradley 917.5121 Terramite T5C
The last two times I went to use my T5C 1999, the steering wheel would not move. The temp was 20 to 25 degrees. It seems like the cylinder was frozen, I tried heating the cyl and I even tried placing a portable heater in front of the cyl and that did not help. I left the tractor sit and run for 15 minutes, still no help. I shut it off and did some other jobs and came back about a half hour later. The steering wheel would now move a little, I played with it a little and then it starting working OK. Now is the steering cylinder just to cold or maybe it is the valve at the bottom of the steering column? I did not heat the cylinder very much because of hurting the seals.
Anyone have any trouble like this?

/ steering froze #2  
Change the p.s. fluid. It has a lot of water in it and it solidified. When you change the fluid, turn the steering wheel lock to lock to empty those parts of suspect fluid. not uncommon actually. Hydraulic fluid is hydrophilic: It draws moisture from any source (including the air). Sometimes you see fluid reservoirs overflow because of the extra moisture that has gotten into the fluid.

/ steering froze
OK thanks a lot, now I have to find the power steering reservoir, thanks again.

/ steering froze #4  
It won't use psf, it will use the hydraulic oil. Most likely is the torque converter (what you actuate with the steering wheel) has bad seals or has seized.

/ steering froze #5  
As mentioned there is no power steering fluid, your system is all hydraulic and uses pressure and oil from the main system for the steering. I have a '96 t5c with the same issue. I believe, but not positive it is moisture at the base of the steering column, in between the steering shaft and the outer tube, on top of the control valve. I usually do the same as you, start it and let it warm up for 10-15 minutes. I then use the front bucket to pick up the front wheels and slowly work back and forth until the warm oil in the control valve thaws things out. I have put a hair dryer /heat gun on the base of the steering shaft if the temp is really cold, below 10F. I only use my machine to plow snow occasionally in the winter, so I don't change to winter weight oil for the hydraulics as suggested, this makes it hard to crank and start as well. I have found that a small magnetic block heater on the Hydraulic reservoir, makes everything much easer to get going in sub freezing temps.

Last edited:
   / steering froze
That makes a lot of sense, where can I get a small magnetic block heater? Thanks

/ steering froze
I found a small 110 volt heating pad for oil pans on ebay today and I have one coming. This one can be wrapped around the valve or pump at the bottom of the steering column. I will let the group know how it works.

/ steering froze #8  
I use kat's heaters I think mine are 200w, small enough to run off an inverter. The wrap around ones might be better for your specific needs.

/ steering froze #9  
has bad seals or has seized.

I had a steering issue on my JCB. Felt like the steering wheel was fighting itself. Long story short, had bad seals so the pressure was on both sides. It would work if I lifted front wheels off ground but in general, was a pain.

So had to yank cylinder off and put new seals in it. Happened at same time to also pull the PS pump off to have it rebuilt (but the problem was the cylinder itself)

/ steering froze
Thanks to all for the info, I will wait for the heater to arrive and let everyone know how it works.