steering wheel 'float'

/ steering wheel 'float' #1  

CubMon

Bronze Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet Sx3100
I'm not familiar with the hydraulic steering systems on these CUT's and have noticed something about this Sx3100 that doesn't seem right. The system is common to the 2400's thru the 450's so maybe others have seen this as well.

The steering wheel floats as the tractor is run, such as mowing operations around a lot where there are obstacles to dodge. The three steering wheel spokes, when steering straight may be a 'Y' or it may be an inverted 'Y'. I noticed this after I removed the center of the wheel and repositioned it so the logo was facing correctly. Now I'm aware of it and notice that it is constantly rotating for straight ahead. I don't notice any loss of steering and have consciously tried to prevent the steering from going all the way around to the stops.

Is this a normal occurrence? Looks like if this is normal, there would be no logo in the center to be positioned upside down...This doesn't seem to effect the steering action, just doesn't seem correct.

Thanks,
Bill C.

/ steering wheel 'float' #2  
Here is a quote from one of the Cub Cadet service manuals.

[FONT=Arial,Bold][FONT=Arial,Bold]
NOTE:​
[/FONT]​
[/FONT]It is normal for the spokes of the steering
wheel on an open-center hydrostatic power
steering system to change orientation with use.
There is no mechanical connection between the

steering wheel and the front wheels.

/ steering wheel 'float'
OK, Thanks. The only manual available so far for this machine is the operators manual and it is sort-of vague. I had thought that it would be ingenious of Cub Cadet to maintain orientation of the steering wheel without any direct mechanical coupling to the Pittman arm!

Thanks very much OldMachinist for clarifying that!

Bill C.

I guess we need a self orienting logo....

/ steering wheel 'float' #4  
You mean...a "floating" logo!!

/ steering wheel 'float' #5  
I wouldn't worry about it, just the way those are. On my bigger IH tractor, when I drive down a relatively straight road, it will make a complete rotation of the wheel in about every 1-1.5 miles of driving. I'm sure it's got some wear in there, but I just live with it.

/ steering wheel 'float' #6  
This is completely normal in hydrostatic steering systems. Plenty of threads where someone installed a spinner in "the perfect location" only to find out that it will end wherever it wants to...

/ steering wheel 'float'
'Floating' logo - let's see....a shaft, bearing and some weight... might work!

One 'good' thing about the steering wheel....the logo center is symmetric so will pop out and reposition. But that's not easy to do going full speed down the road.

Nope, not to worry about it now knowing that it's a normal occurrence.

Another question: are all of these CUT's made in the same factory in Japan? - Minor details changed for the 'make conscious' customers? I wouldn't doubt it....I believe Japanese cars are very much alike as well - like the Nissans and Toyotas make almost identical cars..... I'm not picking - just believe that the Japanese believe in marketing in the most economical way - change the logo and some chrome - Americans will buy it! Toyota and Lexus - - same automobiles.

Bill C.

/ steering wheel 'float' #8  
'Floating' logo - let's see....a shaft, bearing and some weight... might work!

One 'good' thing about the steering wheel....the logo center is symmetric so will pop out and reposition. But that's not easy to do going full speed down the road.

Nope, not to worry about it now knowing that it's a normal occurrence.

Another question: are all of these CUT's made in the same factory in Japan? - Minor details changed for the 'make conscious' customers? I wouldn't doubt it....I believe Japanese cars are very much alike as well - like the Nissans and Toyotas make almost identical cars..... I'm not picking - just believe that the Japanese believe in marketing in the most economical way - change the logo and some chrome - Americans will buy it! Toyota and Lexus - - same automobiles.

Bill C.
I noticed my 3235 steering wheel changing position also. I saw one on the dealer's floor that probably had not been started for some time and the steering wheel free-wheeled with no connection to the tie rod. Must have lost all pressure.
Lexus is made by Toyota and is their high priceline vehicle like Lincoln is the top of Ford's line. Both Toyota and Ford elected to use the corporate name on their lower priced vehicles whereas General Motors uses their name on trucks and SUV's. Most companies share chassis and bodies between lines. Remember the Cadillac Cimmaron, which was basically a fancy Chevy Cavalier built on the J-body.

Bob B.

/ steering wheel 'float'
Yes Bob, I remember the Cimmeron very well. I bought my wife one of them in their second year. Worst vehicle that we have EVER owned. That had a very serious effect on my respect for GM, and I was always a Chevy fan as a kid. I bought a brand new Chevy pickup in 1973 and if you listened very closely, you could hear it rust! I traded it to some guys to put a roof on my garage.

Sore subject with me - I HATE automobiles in general. The auto industry has done more harm to the world than all ather industries combined - including the plant that built the atom bombs....:thumbdown:

But we are stuck with them!