Steiner 430 for acre lot?

/ Steiner 430 for acre lot? #1  

herm0016

Platinum Member
Tractor
Branson 4720h
I have an acre and currently run a cub 1641 that i really like. I have a 150 ft. gravel drive, a good amount of trees and a lot of projects as the property was not taken care of for a very long time before we acquired it last spring. I am limiting myself to one machine. Land is nearly flat. I used the cub to its limits spreading gravel with the plow. I also have home made drag harrow, I used my cart a ton this fall for mulch, we have a lot of landscaping to do in the backyard.

i may have a line on a 430 with 25 hp kohler, looks like its in excellent condition and i think i could buy it and sell the Cub for no extra money added.

would you do it?

What are the drawbacks of the Steiner compared to my current GT, and what are the pluses?

thanks.

/ Steiner 430 for acre lot? #2  
Plus side-
4x4, has a huge range of attachments, durable, should hold good value, possibly better manuvability and stronger

Negatives-
Expensive attachments, possibly expensive repairs

/ Steiner 430 for acre lot? #3  
Steiner 430
1997 - 2012
Garden tractor

Production:
Manufacturer: Steiner
Factory: Johnson Creek, Wisconsin, USA

Steiner 430 Engines:
21HP Kubota 719cc 3-cyl diesel
25HP Kubota 740cc 3-cyl gasoline
33HP Generac 2-cyl gasoline
30HP Kohler 753cc 2-cyl gasoline

Capacity:
Fuel: 6 gal [22.7 L]

Rear Hitch:
Type: Steiner Quick-Hitch

3-Point Hitch:
Rear Type: 0*

Dimensions & Tires:
Wheelbase: 38 inches [96 cm]
Weight: 1,000 lbs [453 kg]
Front tire: 20x10.00-8
Rear tire: 20x10.00-8

Mechanical:
Chassis: 4x4 articulated 4WD
Steering: hydraulic power
Brakes: dry disc

Page information:
Last update: February 19, 2018
Copyright: Copyright 2018 TractorData LLC

Last edited:
   / Steiner 430 for acre lot? #4  
Weight is the key metric in tractor capability. 1,000 pounds is not much.

It takes a 50% increase in subcompact bare tractor weight before you notice much capability increase.

A Category '0' Three Point Hitch means very few traditional tractor implements will fit the Steiner.

Consider leaving the Lawn & Garden category for the traditional tractor category. Subcompact traditional tractors begin at 1,400 pounds bare tractor weight. Almost all new subcompact tractors have a Category 1 Three Point Hitch for which implements are available in profusion at competitive prices.

Most would consider a Loader essential for landscaping tasks. However, you have a cart which requires more lifting to load/unload than a loader but will serve.

Last edited:
   / Steiner 430 for acre lot?
my budget is quite a lot less than a real subcompact unfortunately, and I may be able to get the Steiner for a very very good price. I can still tow my current cart and pull behind harrow / aerator etc. I am sure i could weld up some kind of attachment to put these devices on the front of the Steiner also. i have been thinking about building a scoop and modifying my plow attachment for scooping mulch and similar. the Steiner may be a better base and have more hydraulic capability for this.

/ Steiner 430 for acre lot? #6  
Cub Cadet 1641

1992 - 1997
Garden tractor

Production:
Manufacturer: MTD

Cub Cadet 1641 Engine:
16HP Briggs & Stratton 480cc 2-cyl gasoline

Capacity:
Fuel: 5 gal [18.9 L]

Power Take-off (PTO):
Front PTO: independent
Clutch: electric

Dimensions & Tires:
Wheelbase: 46.5 inches [118 cm]
Weight: 789 lbs [357 kg]
Front tire: 16x6.5-8
Rear tire: 23x10.5-12

Cub Cadet 1641 attachments:
42" mid-mount mower deck
44" mid-mount mower deck
46" mid-mount mower deck

Mechanical:
Transmission: hydrostatic
Chassis: 4x2 2WD
Steering: manual
Brakes: dual disc
Cab: Open operator station.

Electrical:
Ground: negative
Charging system: alternator
Charging amps: 15

Page information:
Last update: April 20, 2016
Copyright: Copyright 2016 TractorData LLC

/ Steiner 430 for acre lot? #7  
I love my Steiner, but it is in addition to a lot of other equipment. I would not touch the Kohler. The gas Kubota is a sweet running engine. I have Diesel, it's a rough little outfit.

The Slip Scoop on the Steiner is just about useless. No height, no lifting power, no breakout force! My 430 MAX with 700 or so hours has just about ZERO hydraulic power. It barely lifts my blower or larger 72" deck!

I know you said what your criteria was but I would recommend to you as I do most people who have work to get done, older 40 or so HP large frame 4WD tractor. Attachments are a dime a dozen. Buy a good one, use it, take care of it and sell it for what you paid, when the big work is done and then maybe buy a Steiner.

Last edited:
   / Steiner 430 for acre lot? #8  
More horsepower (25-hp vs 16-hp) and 4-WD with the Steiner will be of some value over Cub Cadet. I have "0" personal experience with Kohler brand engines.

You will not notice just 200 pounds in heavier Steiner weight relative to Cub Cadet.

/ Steiner 430 for acre lot? #9  
You don't need weight to cut grass, you put a 3700 pound pig on a lawn you turn it into driveway. That 430 will do fine with a slip scoop not rear but it will work. If you need to dig, get a tooth bar for it. A there point hitch is BS you don't need it that is farm tractor stuff and you ride around look backwards, but if it trips your trigger you can get a lot of cat. 0 implements. I make ditches and take care of the drive, plow snow, rent a stump grinder that fits on the front when I need it. I even made a boom that fits on the front. They get around great way better that a tractor.I don't need a loader front because I don't have a dump truck, but I can haul stone to fix the drive way and crushed brick or mulch and I can get into place that a tractor wouldn't. I been stuck in muddy ditches and got out with the articulation and with the blade or bucket. It go up and own steep slopes and about anywhere you want to go. I plow snow and don't need chains up or down hill, tractors are best left in the field, you cut grass before you run over it ..... jim

/ Steiner 430 for acre lot? #10  
Steiner 430
1997 - 2012
Garden tractor

Production:
Manufacturer: Steiner
Factory: Johnson Creek, Wisconsin, USA

Steiner 430 Engines:
21HP Kubota 719cc 3-cyl diesel
25HP Kubota 740cc 3-cyl gasoline
33HP Generac 2-cyl gasoline
30HP Kohler 753cc 2-cyl gasoline

Capacity:
Fuel: 6 gal [22.7 L]

Rear Hitch:
Type: Steiner Quick-Hitch

3-Point Hitch:
Rear Type: 0*

Dimensions & Tires:
Wheelbase: 38 inches [96 cm]
Weight: 1,000 lbs [453 kg]
Front tire: 20x10.00-8
Rear tire: 20x10.00-8

Mechanical:
Chassis: 4x4 articulated 4WD
Steering: hydraulic power
Brakes: dry disc

Page information:
Last update: February 19, 2018
Copyright: Copyright 2018 TractorData LLC

He says he has a 25hp Kohler. That's not on this list.