Sticker shock....!!!

/ Sticker shock....!!! #121  
I take it that you've never had an ignition control module go bad. They don't last anywhere near the life of the vehicle. If you've looked under the hood of the newer cars you'll see most have engine covers to hide the nightmare lurking underneath.

Ignition control module, they haven't used them in 30 years. Engine covers and there to dampen upper engine noise, newer high pressure fuel injectors are noisy. You can't discuss 30 year old technology with current, it just isn't an apples to apples comparison.

/ Sticker shock....!!!
I was just thinking, my grandfather had a timing light. Yup, I have it now. NO CLUE HOW TO USE IT.

I have a 1975 vintage Sears timing light and a tach/dwell meter, still in the boxes...think the last time I used them was in about 1990. Not sure why I keep them...sentimental value, perhaps. I just checked Ebay...they have 72 listings for timing lights and mine is worth $40 at most...and I paid $25 for it...should I sell it or keep it....:laughing:

/ Sticker shock....!!! #123  
Ignition control module, they haven't used them in 30 years. Engine covers and there to dampen upper engine noise, newer high pressure fuel injectors are noisy. You can't discuss 30 year old technology with current, it just isn't an apples to apples comparison.

Actually ignition control modules have been used as late as 1995. I've replaced my share of them. You still have lots of sensors that do go bad in your newer engines. Instead of using distributors, most use a form of crank trigger ignition these days. When a cam timing sensor goes bad have fun with that repair.
New car dealership service departments stay busy even now working on the new cars and trucks. They do break down whether you want to admit it or not. You are welcome to buy those new ones if you like. For me it's a much better deal to keep my older trucks running. I like being able to do it myself.

/ Sticker shock....!!! #124  
Newsflash... car had 7,000 miles and was 10 years old and not repairable.

That may be true (which I doubt...manufacturers have to make parts available for a minimum of 10 years after the vehicle goes out of production), but you can't use that as a basis for comparing electronics of 1982 to today.

/ Sticker shock....!!! #125  
I have a 1975 vintage Sears timing light and a tach/dwell meter, still in the boxes...think the last time I used them was in about 1990. Not sure why I keep them...sentimental value, perhaps. I just checked Ebay...they have 72 listings for timing lights and mine is worth $40 at most...and I paid $25 for it...should I sell it or keep it....:laughing:

Wow, you even checked online. I'd keep it. I bet the moment you sell it, a neighbor will come by asking if you have one to borrow ...

/ Sticker shock....!!! #126  
Actually ignition control modules have been used as late as 1995. I've replaced my share of them. You still have lots of sensors that do go bad in your newer engines. Instead of using distributors, most use a form of crank trigger ignition these days. When a cam timing sensor goes bad have fun with that repair.
New car dealership service departments stay busy even now working on the new cars and trucks. They do break down whether you want to admit it or not. You are welcome to buy those new ones if you like. For me it's a much better deal to keep my older trucks running. I like being able to do it myself.

Yes, there are a lot of sensors through-out new vehicles but that has been evolving since the mid 80's when computers first started managing engine controls. Sensor failure is rare, yes, someone will make a comment about a sensor failure but there are tens of thousands of new vehicles sold each month in the US, each providing a trouble free service life. Auto makers fight daily to keep warranty cost down, computers and sensors, and the what-nots have design life's of 11 or better years which I think is darn good.

A computer fires the spark based on crank and cam position sensors, most new engines have variable cam positions. Ignition is with respect to air to fuel mixture, input air temperature, mass air flow, and throttle position.

Eventually your older vehicles will come to their end of life and you will need to address the newer technology vehicles, used or new.

/ Sticker shock....!!! #127  
In my case I just keeping repairing...

My first car I bought with money I earned was a 1929 Model A and I still have it today... have Model T's and even a 1905 Oldsmobile.

The difference, as I see it... a person that knows their way around a shop can keep the old stuff going...

Not too many have the ability to make circuit boards and the fancy electronics.

Cars are becoming more like appliances today... not much repairing after the warranty is out.

My new car is year model 2002 and when I had the glitch last weekend, a neighbor walking his dog and commented he will no longer own a car without a warranty and his present is leased...

Just came back from the mandatory State Emission testing on my 1985 Chevrolet Van... $80 for the test and not that it passed... I can send in $194 to renew my tags... it's the last year with the Carburetor in my State.

Funny thing is when I bought the truck all those years ago anything over 25 years was exempt... then it was changed to over 30 years and now it changed again to FOREVER...

/ Sticker shock....!!! #128  
In my case I just keeping repairing...

My first car I bought with money I earned was a 1929 Model A and I still have it today... have Model T's and even a 1905 Oldsmobile.

seems we're a lot alike. My first car was a 31 Model A roadster, that I got in 1962, for $60 and used it as my everyday driver for several years. As I remember reading, they sold new for about $525. It was a babe magnet in high school !

I still have it...and drive it.

Me and a mop head of a girl next to me in 1964:
ma.jpg

My other 'old' car is my 100 year old 1914 Model T that I got in the early 70's. I actually drive it more than the A. I've had it all over New England and New York state. In 1914, the car cost $450. Ford got the price down to under $300 by the early 1920's.

mt.jpg

Will my 2014 Tundra still be around in 100 years ???

/ Sticker shock....!!! #129  
Will my 2014 Tundra still be around in 100 years ???

If you drove it at 40 mph, and put a couple hundred miles a year on it, the odds are it would still be kicking in 2114. Not long ago my 86 year old Mamma was talking about how long tires used to last when her and Daddy had a '36 Ford. I ask her how often they used the car. She said they went into town almost every Saturday. A 30 mile round trip.

Larro

/ Sticker shock....!!! #130  
Very Cool... is that your shop with all the vintage signs?

I prefer to own vehicles that appreciate...

Then there is my 85 Chevy Service Van and it is a real workhorse... fully loaded down with racks and pullouts... had to beef up the suspension about 25 years ago to handle it.

Maybe I've been blessed... so far, never been towed in with any car... knock on wood.

Attachments

• 1905 Olds Curved Dash this one!!.jpg
    1905 Olds Curved Dash this one!!.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 1930 Model A no Text.JPG
    1930 Model A no Text.JPG
    297.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 1985 Chevy Van.jpg
    1985 Chevy Van.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 69
  • 1912 Speedster.jpg
    1912 Speedster.jpg