Sticky Float

/ Sticky Float #1  

toddbiss

Bronze Member
Tractor
2011 Kioti CK20hst
Since this winter my float has gotten harder to get out of position and froze a couple times when I left it in float over night the winter. I pulled the boot off the lever and lubed everything but didn't help much. There must be a detent somewhere that I can clean and lube...

/ Sticky Float #2  
Water in the system? Maybe time for a fluid change, or a new boot?

/ Sticky Float #3  
I have no personal experience with this but other posters here reported the detent ball/spring is susceptible to rust and dirt but cleaning and lube will fix it.

/ Sticky Float #4  
Make sure your two cables from the control handle are lubed but it's more than likely the detent in the valve cap. You'll find two of these on the front side of the control valve under the right floor board/foot rest. They are two silver caps about an inch round and two or so inches long held on to the front of the control valve with two allen head bolts each. One does the curl and one does the lift which includes the float. I can't remember which is which. This freezing has happened to many including mine. I repaired/cleaned and greased both of mine so I knew both would be good. Take one cap off, nothing goes flying, but you will see the end of the valve control rod (spool) with a spring. Clean this good and then look in the cap and give it a good cleaning. If you see three small, about 1/8 inch steel balls towards the closed end held in the side of the cap 120' apart, then this one is for the lift and detent. The balls will or should stay in place. Clean this area good and put a reasonable amount of grease on the balls, inside of the cap, and the spool end and spring. I cleaned well the two mating surfaces of the cap and the valve block and then applied a very thin film of silicone seal to this surface. Use very little so it doesn't compress and go into the cap. This will help keep any moisture out. Re-mount the cap and tighten the two allen head bolts. The other cap and spool with spring will look the same except with no balls and this one does the curl. Mine started to freeze after about year three or four. Since servicing mine, six years ago, not a bit of problems and it actually goes into float easier.

/ Sticky Float
Thanks for your help Victor, sounds like it should be easy enough.