Stihl 031AV thoughts and other questions

/ Stihl 031AV thoughts and other questions #1  

thatguy

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 2320
I have my dads 031AV - which has to be +40 yrs old.. It still starts easily and runs good (from what i can tell - it cuts what I want, but Im sure it has lost power over the years)..

It has never been rebuilt - but I just put a new bar on it..

was it considered a 'pro' saw when released?

How do you tell if its needs to be rebuilt? would it be worth rebuilding if needed? Cost?

If i wanted to sell it, what would it be worth?

I need a chainsaw occasionally and want it to start when needed (not cutting wood to burn, just use on the land as needed).. So if i wanted/needed to replace it - I was thinking the MS 271 would be a good choice (staying with stihl).. I know the pro saw are the bees knees and are much lighter.. But not sure i could justify the +$200 to move up to the MS 261..

How reliable is the MS 271 - would it be as reliable as this 031 has been? Or would it be best to drop the $$ and go for the 261

Brian

/ Stihl 031AV thoughts and other questions #2  
Your 031 is an indestructible boat anchor. Keep sharp chain on it with you brand new pretty bar. Check your plug, keep your air cleaner clean, blow out the carb area and the chain oiler now and then, keep your bar rails clean, rotate your bar often and run the dang thing. It is heavy, has a decent damper system and unless you feel the need to have new and improved, run'er.

/ Stihl 031AV thoughts and other questions #3  
Your 031 is an indestructible boat anchor. Keep sharp chain on it with you brand new pretty bar. Check your plug, keep your air cleaner clean, blow out the carb area and the chain oiler now and then, keep your bar rails clean, rotate your bar often and run the dang thing. It is heavy, has a decent damper system and unless you feel the need to have new and improved, run'er.

I would add change the sprocket. I was told a worn sprocket will wear on a chain also. I just bought all new chains, bars and sprockets for my two Stihl saws. One is a 032 that I have had since 1984 and it still runs great. A few years ago I was considering buying a new one, just because. My dealer discouraged the idea since mine was still running. As he put it "Your saw has carburetor passages you could drive a truck through. With the newer saw they are more susceptible to dirt because of the tiny passages and emission requirements" So, another vote for keep the old saw.

Doug in SW IA

/ Stihl 031AV thoughts and other questions #4  
I bought my 031 new in 1979 or 80 I can't remember it's been a good saw, it was the last year they were made in west Germany, I used it yesterday. I bought a 290, it's a good saw don't care for the choke set up but like you I wanted newer saw with smaller bar length. I would keep it if your not processing firewood, what was mentioned before keep it clean and you'll get many more years of service.

/ Stihl 031AV thoughts and other questions #5  
It won't be worth much of you sell it, maybe $150 unless it's in mint condition. At that price, personally I'd just keep it as a backup for a new saw if you buy one. I have a 261 and it's a really great saw. To me, it's absolutely worth the difference in price over the home owner models, but everyone's needs are different. I cut a lot of wood, so I appreciate the better AV, better air filter, m-tronic setup, and so on.

/ Stihl 031AV thoughts and other questions #6  
Keep it. They don't make them like that anymore. It's prudent to always have a backup.

/ Stihl 031AV thoughts and other questions
thanks for all the advice... I am currently looking for a sprocket for it, but it appears there may be several different ones listed that will fit and 031 AV (its so old it doesnt have the chain break handle on it)

While researching sprockets, i saw something about the chain spinning while at idle and that the clutch may be worn.. so also looking for a clutch as well.. and also a new sprocket bearing

SPROCKETS - it seems that some come with a big star that drives the chain (which i think is on there now).. There is a Oregon aftermarket drum and 'rim' combo are these two interchangeable or do i need to stick with whats already on it

Oregon Power Mate Rim & Drum System (3/8" X 7) For Stihl :(, 31, 32, 41 | Oregon Power Mate Rim & Drum Systems for Stihl | Chainsaw Drive Sprocket Systems | www.baileysonline.com

Oregon Pro Spur Sprocket (3/8" X 7) For Stihl :(, 31, 32, 41 | Stihl | Sprockets | www.baileysonline.com

brian

/ Stihl 031AV thoughts and other questions #8  
The rim drive is considered superior. Probably because the rim drive sprocket is a separate part from the clutch drum so it can be replaced when worn without replacing the drum. It supports the chain differently but I'm not sure if that makes a practical difference. The star type is all one piece. Either one will work, just get the same size (the number of 'pins').

/ Stihl 031AV thoughts and other questions #9  
My 031 came with the rim and sprocket, two separate parts, it has the original clutch and sprocket and the rim is hardly worn after 40 years. I don't run the chain that tight, use new leftover motor oil for the bar lube. I'd get the rim and sprocket assembly, that will last you many years, it's a good old saw!

/ Stihl 031AV thoughts and other questions #10  
I had an 031AV Electronic that I bought new back in the early 80's, after using one when I worked for a tree service company out west. Great saw, never required much in the way of repairs. Sat out in a field about 5 -6 years ago, "lost", over two winters ... when I "found" it, I dumped the old fuel and put fresh in and it fired up in a couple of pulls.

Unfortunately that one was stolen.

I ended up replacing it just recently with what was essentially a one-owner 031AV (Non-Electronic) with apparently very low use. The saw had been listed on CL by it's original owner for big $$$ as it had a bad condenser and his saw shop told him that parts were "unavailable" and he just needed to buy a new saw.

It was eventually picked up by another saw shop mechanic who has his own business on the side fixing and selling saws. He replaced the condenser with an aftermarket part and went through the saw, did the base gasket delete between the jug and lower case (raises the compression), and cleaned it up. It had had the AV isolators replaced on it at some point by the original owner. Looks nearly new, starts very easily cold (2 - 3 pulls), and runs great. It came with only a 16" bar and chain ... but the chain is nearly new. I gave $225 for it.

As I understand it, the non-electronic version is preferable ... because the electronic ignitions do go bad, the parts are not available any longer from Stihl, and the electronic versions cannot be converted back (easily ?) to a non-electronic set up (points, condenser, etc.) Replacement coils can also be a problem, as they are NLA as I understand it.

As others have said, it's a great saw. If it were me, I'd hang on to it.