Stihl MS290 vs. 029?

/ Stihl MS290 vs. 029? #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
I have an 029 which is about the right size for my needs. However, it is a bear to start when cold. Pull the rope about 15 times, go to half choke and after a few more pulls it starts & runs fine. Guy at the shop says it's a common problem with those saws, that he was told Stihl tried a different material for the cylinders and it didn't work out, creating the problems I have.

So I'm thinking about getting an MS290. What does anyone know about those? Do they start easily?

/ Stihl MS290 vs. 029? #2  
I went from a old 029 my Dad had to a MS290, both with 18" bars. It will be 4 years old this Fall and has been trouble free. I don't cut much firewood but use it to do general clean up around the farm.

They had a free carrying case offer when I bought mine.

/ Stihl MS290 vs. 029? #3  
The MS 290 is the same saw as an 029. A few minor differences depending on year of manufacture but for the most part same saw.
On second thought an 029 might be different from a 290, but an 029 Super is the same saw give or take a few different part #'s on gears, or gaskets.
I had an 029 Super for 10 years or better then sold it after getting an MS 261, roughly the same power, faster and 2 lbs lighter.

/ Stihl MS290 vs. 029? #4  
Stihl is renown for starting problems. My MS361 and blower require several yanks - especially when cold. They run great once they get underway.

On the other hand, I have several Husqvarna saws of several sizes. They all start within a couple of pulls and cut very well. They are a bit more high-revving than the Stihls.

You might consider a Husqvarna with the same engine displacement. Something like a 455 or 460 - less expensive, too. Tractor Supply now sells Jonsered saws, the same saw as a Husqvarna. The guy I cut wood with gave up on his MS361 for the Husqvarna 455 and really likes it for the starting and power.

However, if you are a Stihl fan this discussion is moot in a Ford/Chevy way. Soon we will have a war on this topic.

You might want to post in the "Chainsaw" forum on TBN to get more views on the topic. Just do a search and the forum will come up in some of the results. Also, check the very bottom of this page for "Similar Threads" to get headed in this direction.

EDIT: Oh, and if you can get it, use ethanol-free gas. It does make a difference.

/ Stihl MS290 vs. 029? #5  
Really? I got a Stihl becasuse of how easy they start!! I cut a "shirt tail" of wood yesterday, as my grandmother would of said. I had not used the saw in a few months at least. I think 2-3 pulls on choke it burped, then half choke 2 more pulls and i was running.

/ Stihl MS290 vs. 029? #6  
A couple of years ago I went to my Stihl dealer to replace my 031 that I bought in 1980. When I told him that I wanted to replace my 031 he immediately showed me an MS310. It seemed logical to me that the MS310 would replace the 031. However, the MS310 is larger and totally different from the 031. I bought the MS310 and it has been very satisfactory.

/ Stihl MS290 vs. 029? #7  
Stihl is renown for starting problems. My MS361 and blower require several yanks - especially when cold. They run great once they get underway.

On the other hand, I have several Husqvarna saws of several sizes. They all start within a couple of pulls and cut very well. They are a bit more high-revving than the Stihls.

You might consider a Husqvarna with the same engine displacement. Something like a 455 or 460 - less expensive, too. Tractor Supply now sells Jonsered saws, the same saw as a Husqvarna. The guy I cut wood with gave up on his MS361 for the Husqvarna 455 and really likes it for the starting and power.

However, if you are a Stihl fan this discussion is moot in a Ford/Chevy way. Soon we will have a war on this topic.

You might want to post in the "Chainsaw" forum on TBN to get more views on the topic. Just do a search and the forum will come up in some of the results. Also, check the very bottom of this page for "Similar Threads" to get headed in this direction.

EDIT: Oh, and if you can get it, use ethanol-free gas. It does make a difference.

I wold definitely agree on the non ethanol gas.
Use the Stihl ultra oil it does make a difference.

Yes there are folks that will start a saw war a the drop of a hat.

I have multiple Stihl's and have no problem with starting any of them. If you know how to start them and do not flood them they start just fine.
I have never heard of the 029 "common problem" that your dealer quoted. Ask another service dealer and see if you get the same answer. Maybe he is trying to sell you a saw sensing your frustration.
How long since you replaced your tank filter and fuel line? Ethanol is hard on them in some cases. Stihl recommends routine replacement.

/ Stihl MS290 vs. 029?
I never use ethanol in any equipment, so that's not the problem. I have taken the saw to 3 shops & none of them were able to make it start any easier, but they were able to bill me for trying.

I'll look at the chainsaw thread--didn't know there was one as this is the only one I look at.

/ Stihl MS290 vs. 029? #9  
So I'm thinking about getting an MS290. What does anyone know about those? Do they start easily?

Recently bought a new MS391. It's one a helluva beast! You may want to look at either the MS311 or MS391 since (according to the dealer) the legendary MS290 Farm Boss is going to be discontinued soon (it's has older technology). Both the 311 and 391 have decompression valves for easy starting and the 290 does not. They also use 3/8" chains and the 290 uses .325".

Stihl is renown for starting problems.

Been using Stihl saws for decades, never had any starting problems.

Last edited:
   / Stihl MS290 vs. 029? #10  
My one year old MS290 is going back the the dealer. Hardest starting saw I ever owned. It will be the last Stihl equipment I ever buy... same with my Stihl tiller...Doesn't start worth a darn. Sorry for the rant. Nothing pizzes me off like a non-starting two-stroke...