stihl oil cap

/ stihl oil cap #21  
Give me a minute,,,,gota clean the keyboard. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

But it works that way as designed. Reminds you to put the caps back on :)

Of course I have never, ever oiled my pants...since the last time anyhow.

Harry K

/ stihl oil cap #22  
I now run 3 Stihle (210/310/361) all with the flippies. No problems at all and the 310 has put out around 50 cords over the years.

I have had them 'feel' like they were on but not and usually that results in the cap then being in the 'locked' position. Just pick it up, grab base with one hand, bail with other and 1/4 turn to the left - ready to reinstall.

My opinion of them: I don't mind them but it seems like it was a solution to a non-existant problem. Screw caps worked just fine.

Harry K

/ stihl oil cap #24  
Yeah, They are crappy ... and look ay the $ spent on design compexity to replace something superior. Still, demonstration by klutzes is not productive.

Just learn how to use them or return the brand new saw with that as the reason

Found this link.

http://www.forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=printpage;topic=34719.0

Even has a suggested fix. I haven't tried it yet, but will let you know if it works for me.

Wedge

Post#15: I had a lot of trouble when I 1st got mine. The cap mechanism engages and draws up as you turn it into place. Somehow on the 1st fillup I got mine in the drawn up position before trying to turn it -- so it wouldnt turn. What i had to do is engage the slots and turn it 1/4turn ccw to return it to "ready". Then place the cap in with the fold out butterfly handle oriented vertical, hold in gently and turn it til the handle was horizontal. This engaged the dogs and drew the O-ring seal into place. Success.:thumbsup:
larry
QED.
larry

/ stihl oil cap #25  
Husqvarna

Once you go orange you will wonder why you spent all that time futzing around with anything else.

/ stihl oil cap #27  
It is really hard to "idiot proof" something.:laughing:

/ stihl oil cap #28  
That guys a flipping idiot. :laughing:
You could extrapolate only a little and get "hold chain - pull this funny lever".:rolleyes:
larry

Last edited:
   / stihl oil cap #29  
the oil cap on my sthil wouldn't seat so I compared the two caps and the o ring wasn't seated on the cap.I squeezed it tight and so far it's working. russ

/ stihl oil cap #30  
Ive always had Stihl's , I bought a new 381 a couple of months ago and it will be the last . I have never seen such a stupid idea in my life . Fiddly stinking things that WILL fail , so I now need to carry two spares . And I too have oiled my new suede boots and trouser leg . Also , a screw cap is self adjusting so the seal is always snug , what happens when the seal on a flip cap starts to leak ? I also hate that they MUST be installed with your fingers so you get fuel and oil on your fingers or gloves where as the screw caps can be installed with the tool without really touching them .