still having mole problems

/ still having mole problems #1  

heehaw

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M4900, B7510 and RTV
i have gone back an read all the post about taking care of moles: have tried two different traps, one of which, i found is for something bigger than the moles i have, because it doesn't fit in the holes worth a dern: prior to this year, the above ground trap, that plunges about 6 spikes into the ground, has done really well for me: this year i have not killed a single mole with them: i have gone thru about a half dozen containers of the mole poison in the tp shaped containers: an now am just pouring regular ole mouse poison in the holes: i have killed one mole this year, an it was because i was putting out the poison an stood on a trail, an felt something push up on the bottom of my foot: sheer luck: i just set off one of the smoke bombs i had left from a couple years ago, an put a bunch more mouse poison into the trails: i even figured out that tractor supply sells the mole poison a little cheaper than lowes, so i went to lowes with that info, an got it for 10% less than tsc is selling it: so have felt like i have been pretty serious about this problem..but it sure hasn't done any good: does anyone have any new and improved methods of killing these pest??
heehaw

/ still having mole problems #2  
We had some get into our freezer at work, we make pet food, they damaged a lot of product but we were able to trap them with repeating mouse traps. I don't think that would work in your case. I'm surprised the poison did not work. I really feel for you having a problem like that, hope you resolve it soon. One thing I was told was to put out chewing gum, they supposedly eat it and can't pass it, not sure if it works though.

/ still having mole problems #3  
We had some get into our freezer at work, we make pet food, they damaged a lot of product but we were able to trap them with repeating mouse traps.
Are you talking about moles or voles in the pet food?

I don't think that would work in your case. I'm surprised the poison did not work. I really feel for you having a problem like that, hope you resolve it soon. One thing I was told was to put out chewing gum, they supposedly eat it and can't pass it, not sure if it works though.

** I tried the gum for two months, and didn't see any effect at all.
** I've had some success with the poison mole bait pellets. But not 100%.
** Have had success with the poison rubbery grubs/worms. Not 100% but the best of any, except it is expensive.
** Have had success with the 6 spike set traps. There again, not 100%.
** And occasionally get lucky and have one working their run when I'm watching and even then, they hear your footsteps (or have good sense of smell) and can retreat very quickly.

SO, I wish I knew the answer. :D

/ still having mole problems #4  
** I tried the gum for two months, and didn't see any effect at all.

Did you try some different flavours??:thumbsup:

Has anyone tried putting some propane down the holes and then igniting it or just filling the holes with exhaust from a gasoline engine?:)

/ still having mole problems
thats what the smoke bomb i got from the co-op does: i set one of those off yesterday, but noticed it doesn't seem to travel very far in the mole trail: a little smoke came up 5 or 6 ft away, but didn't see anything any further away. i am going to pick up some more to try again, because the poison doesn't seem to be working at all.
heehaw

/ still having mole problems #6  
Google "mole & gopher bait applicator"
You can put poison directly into their tunnels without disturbing too much of the area.
I have used this type for years and it works very well.
I made a 1/4" cold rolled probe that has a "T" handle for probing in the area of the "hill" to find the tunnels. Insert the applicator into the tunnel, turn the handle to dispense the poison, voila!
Sometimes you have to return if you did not find an active tunnel. Practice helps. Dave

/ still having mole problems #7  
Lots of moles here doing a lot of damage, digging out plants and shrubs and destroying many. The only way I was ever able to control them (though not 100%) is traps. I use 3 different types, one with blank 9 mm cartridges. But you must watch closely what they are doing and set the traps in their main travelling galleries, that's the tricky part. Then you don't have long to wait, they keep very regular hours.

Attachments

• DSCF1726.JPG
    DSCF1726.JPG
    234.1 KB · Views: 141
  • DSCF1729.JPG
    DSCF1729.JPG
    244.7 KB · Views: 132
  • DSCF1665.JPG
    DSCF1665.JPG
    164.8 KB · Views: 134
  • DSCF1667.JPG
    DSCF1667.JPG
    205.6 KB · Views: 125
   / still having mole problems
i am trying to locate a place to buy carbide: as in the stuff we use to use for carbide lights: i figure a couple grains of that, in the tunnel an a little water should make a gas that would kill the moles...haven't located it yet, but only checked tractor supply so far
heehaw

/ still having mole problems #9  
I think you oughta watch the movie Caddie Shack repeatably....until you arrive at a better plan. :laughing::laughing:

/ still having mole problems #10  
i have gone back an read all the post about taking care of moles: have tried two different traps, one of which, i found is for something bigger than the moles i have, because it doesn't fit in the holes worth a dern: prior to this year, the above ground trap, that plunges about 6 spikes into the ground, has done really well for me: this year i have not killed a single mole with them: i have gone thru about a half dozen containers of the mole poison in the tp shaped containers: an now am just pouring regular ole mouse poison in the holes: i have killed one mole this year, an it was because i was putting out the poison an stood on a trail, an felt something push up on the bottom of my foot: sheer luck: i just set off one of the smoke bombs i had left from a couple years ago, an put a bunch more mouse poison into the trails: i even figured out that tractor supply sells the mole poison a little cheaper than lowes, so i went to lowes with that info, an got it for 10% less than tsc is selling it: so have felt like i have been pretty serious about this problem..but it sure hasn't done any good: does anyone have any new and improved methods of killing these pest??
heehaw

All I have to say, and don't take this personally, is if you would use the Victor Out O Sight mole trap, follow the instructions, find the main runs and set them correctly, you would have success. Having killed over 250 of the little buggers on our one acre property, I can assure you that the Victor Out O Sight mole trap is the way to go. I use it exclusively.

Go to Moleman and read and re-read until you understand how moles live and how to locate the correct tunnels to trap.