Still looking,

/ Still looking, #1  

paulfun9

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40
Ok still looking for a new machine here. Had some time to take a drive and look at some TYM and Kioti machines today. SO now I have at least two to compare with some of the Kabota machines I looked at. Problem is we are all over the place in price and performance parameters and since I don't want to look at anything coming in with tier 4 systems on it I figure I will have to buy based on the individual machines ability -vs - its cost -vs- dealer stock, not on a basic comparison from machine to machine. So how about we try this a little different than the normal which one is better but rather simply try and talk me out of one or the other by pointing out only the bad things about the machines.

Today the two machines are the Kioti DK40se hydro and the TYM 403 hydro both with loaders. SO what are the bad things about both machines without directly comparing them to the other. Good examples would be the worst record of breakdowns or a loader that twists or maybe if one has an common problem with breaking axels or something.

And yes your time and effort is appreciated as I am not like some who ask and still buy what ever they wanted to in the first place as I truly haven't decided anything other than I need more weight and power than my current machine and actually only know for certain that getting less than 30HP is not going to happen.

After looking so far I have realized that if the price is right and I feel good about the machine I could end up anyplace between 30 all the way to 50HP and anyplace in the middle of that. For instance a decent offer on a used TYM 503 with a cab from a private seller had me wondering if it would be worth raising the barn door height a little bit to ensure it fits without leaving some air out of the tires. If he had dropped the price just a little bit more I probably would have written him a check on the spot but it does take some coaxing to get me to buy a used machine right now as I am kind of set on a NEW one to help take out some of the guesswork.

/ Still looking, #2  
Let me preface my comment by saying I'm extremely happy with my DK40SE, no regrets, but ......
The MLS knob is in a bad place right by your heel and when you're turned looking back you tend to inadvertently "adjust" it to something you don't really want. Also, there tends to be an annoying (for me anyway) rattle develop off and on in the loader. Finally, some of the plastic is a bit chintzy but I think that's the case on most other compacts, too.
Sorry, I've got only minor stuff to offer, far outweighed by the good things I've noticed after 30 hours.

/ Still looking, #3  
Let me preface my comment by saying I'm extremely happy with my DK40SE, no regrets, but ......
The MLS knob is in a bad place right by your heel and when you're turned looking back you tend to inadvertently "adjust" it to something you don't really want. Also, there tends to be an annoying (for me anyway) rattle develop off and on in the loader. Finally, some of the plastic is a bit chintzy but I think that's the case on most other compacts, too.
Sorry, I've got only minor stuff to offer, far outweighed by the good things I've noticed after 30 hours.

That rattle probably is coming from your FEL stands. Just shove a piece of rubber between them or take them off.

/ Still looking,
I have heard a few rumors from a guy at work about engine problems or as he couldn't elaborate might have been engine mount problems and from nearby neighbor about front axel problems with the Kioti.

I also have found this in my latest search ('' Kioti had some axle and front loader issues. We aren't gonna solve any arguments about it because neither company is going to release stats on repairs.") this is a quote from a post on this forum from a few years back.

Can anyone tell me about these problems?

/ Still looking, #5  
I have heard a few rumors from a guy at work about engine problems or as he couldn't elaborate might have been engine mount problems and from nearby neighbor about front axel problems with the Kioti.

I also have found this in my latest search ('' Kioti had some axle and front loader issues. We aren't gonna solve any arguments about it because neither company is going to release stats on repairs.") this is a quote from a post on this forum from a few years back.

Can anyone tell me about these problems?
The only front axle issues I am aware of was the early model DK 55. To my knowledge that problem was resolved years ago.
The early model CK's had a loader cracking issue. Again resolved years ago.
As far as engine problems. I have no idea what you are talking about.

/ Still looking,
The only front axle issues I am aware of was the early model DK 55. To my knowledge that problem was resolved years ago.
The early model CK's had a loader cracking issue. Again resolved years ago.
As far as engine problems. I have no idea what you are talking about.

I did find some info on the loader problems last night but couldn't find anything on the alleged engine problems. I was happy to see they fixed it and that it wasn't even the model I am considering. He talked about what lead them to buy what him and his father did being bad reviews from owners all over the internet and bad engines but I cant find any negative reviews on the DK 40 as of yet. Seems both these machines are well thought out and the current owners are pleased with them. The only complaint I found as of yet about the engine in the Kioti is that some think its a bit noisy when running.

The only real reoccurring problem I have been able to find on the DK40 and other kioti tractors is the ignition switch giving some trouble. Has that issue been resolved or should I ask for a spare one to be included in the deal so I don't have to wait for parts if it happens.

Dealer network for the TYM scares me just a little there are more Kioti dealers around and they seem to be fairly competent.

I have to say I am so far impressed with both machines and am planning to take a second look at both with a good friend who is also not so easily swayed.

Does anyone have anything bad to say about the TYM 403/503 tractors or is all well and good with them. I know they had some cracked frames with the smaller units but haven t heard anything bad about the bigger ones. ?

/ Still looking, #7  
I looked at the TYM 503 when I was shopping. It is the same tractor as the Mahindra 5010 (TYM builds them for Mahindra) except that for some unknown reason the Mahindra version doesn't include the extendable lower lift arms that the TYM has.

I liked the TYM 503 a lot but ultimately decided not to get serious about one because of the lack of dealer support in my area. There is only one dealer I could find in my area and I wasn't confident that they would be around very long. Is there a good, stable TYM dealer in your area?

I'm not aware of any known issues with the Kioti or TYM that would keep me from buying one. The only issues I have with my Kioti are two little annoying things that are easy to fix. First, the guide tube that the FEL's bucket level indicator rod runs through seems to come unscrewed and needs to have some loctite applied and then screwed in tight. Done. Took 1 minute.

Second, the throttle lever action is stiff. It's a fairly simple fix to remove the cover from the steering column and lubricate it to loosen up the action some. Mine hasn't annoyed me enough for me to do it yet, but it's on the to-do list.

Chances are that ANY tractor you buy will have one or two annoying things. I feel fortunate that the annoyances on my Kioti are easily fixable.

/ Still looking, #8  
I did find some info on the loader problems last night but couldn't find anything on the alleged engine problems. I was happy to see they fixed it and that it wasn't even the model I am considering. He talked about what lead them to buy what him and his father did being bad reviews from owners all over the internet and bad engines but I cant find any negative reviews on the DK 40 as of yet. Seems both these machines are well thought out and the current owners are pleased with them. The only complaint I found as of yet about the engine in the Kioti is that some think its a bit noisy when running.

The only real reoccurring problem I have been able to find on the DK40 and other kioti tractors is the ignition switch giving some trouble. Has that issue been resolved or should I ask for a spare one to be included in the deal so I don't have to wait for parts if it happens.

Dealer network for the TYM scares me just a little there are more Kioti dealers around and they seem to be fairly competent.

I have to say I am so far impressed with both machines and am planning to take a second look at both with a good friend who is also not so easily swayed.

Does anyone have anything bad to say about the TYM 403/503 tractors or is all well and good with them. I know they had some cracked frames with the smaller units but haven t heard anything bad about the bigger ones. ?
I have owned DK40 se 2 kiotis since 2008.Not one problem.If you are not sure of Kioti or TYM being dependable.Pay a little extra and buy a John deere or Kubota.IMHO EVERY BRAND has there problems and Issues.Just a thought?

/ Still looking,
I have owned DK40 se 2 kiotis since 2008.Not one problem.If you are not sure of Kioti or TYM being dependable.Pay a little extra and buy a John deere or Kubota.IMHO EVERY BRAND has there problems and Issues.Just a thought?

I am not sure about anything just yet! That's why I am here asking questions and trying to get feedback from other people.

JD got one visit from me and its the same old same old thing. A reasonable price means too many trade offs and the machines that are able to get my attention are too costly when everything is considered. Also the last two friends who purchased JD had some real problems with their machines and had to fight to get them fixed. Kabota has a good standing but those dam rocker pedals have to go and to get to a machine with the same specs as some of these other brands it also gets a tad more costly and some of the upper end machines get real funky pedals installed and no options for anything I would like With the L32/L38 and L46 the rocker pedal can at least be removed and something I like built and installed to replace it but who wants to go chopping up a brand new machine? They should offer an alternative to that silly uncomfortable rocker! Also I am not a fan of electronics on a tractor and many upper end machines have lots of wires that simply shouldn't be there.

I don't really have a stable base for the TYM dealers around here but if I can find a good parts diagram and get a repair manual with it I wouldn't be afraid of owning one. Not really the type to run to the dealer for anything more than parts anyway and I expect that just like my truck, car and bikes they probably wont give me any headaches until the warrantee expires anyway.

/ Still looking, #10  
005.jpg
I am not sure about anything just yet! That's why I am here asking questions and trying to get feedback from other people.

JD got one visit from me and its the same old same old thing. A reasonable price means too many trade offs and the machines that are able to get my attention are too costly when everything is considered. Also the last two friends who purchased JD had some real problems with their machines and had to fight to get them fixed. Kabota has a good standing but those dam rocker pedals have to go and to get to a machine with the same specs as some of these other brands it also gets a tad more costly and some of the upper end machines get real funky pedals installed and no options for anything I would like With the L32/L38 and L46 the rocker pedal can at least be removed and something I like built and installed to replace it but who wants to go chopping up a brand new machine? They should offer an alternative to that silly uncomfortable rocker! Also I am not a fan of electronics on a tractor and many upper end machines have lots of wires that simply shouldn't be there.

I don't really have a stable base for the TYM dealers around here but if I can find a good parts diagram and get a repair manual with it I wouldn't be afraid of owning one. Not really the type to run to the dealer for anything more than parts anyway and I expect that just like my truck, car and bikes they probably wont give me any headaches until the warrantee expires anyway.
Seems like you solved your problem then.Kioti ?? As I stated in my previous post all makes and models have there issues.Pick one that fits your needs and buy it.