Stone age

/ Stone age #1  

crazyal

Tractor
Kubota, Case, Deere
Has anyone watched the TV show on DYI called Stone Age? It's two guys who redo patios using lots of large rocks in a waterfall. I've been building a stone wall for the little lday around her new shade flower garden so looking for tips I did a search and this show came up. It's not really about building walls, just patios but I watched a couple of the ones I recorded. Anyway the reason I'm posting this is they are using a Kubota GL3940 to most of the lifting. They often list the weight of the rock they are lifting. If their weight is accurate then it's truly impressive as some of the rocks are over 2000lbs. Anyway if you have a DVR it looks like they are reairing the shows (I think there's 7 or 8 of them) on the 26th.

/ Stone age #2  
Al,
I've seen the show and when I saw the orange tractor it grabbed my attention. I also like to see people work with stone and watched the show. However, I think these guys are a little too artsy. If you are looking for pointers on stone go to YouTube and look up the DYI channel and the two guys from Rock Solid, Dean and Daryl, who are cousins. They have great tips.

/ Stone age #3  
Al,
I've seen the show and when I saw the orange tractor it grabbed my attention. I also like to see people work with stone and watched the show. However, I think these guys are a little too artsy. If you are looking for pointers on stone go to YouTube and look up the DYI channel and the two guys from Rock Solid, Dean and Daryl, who are cousins. They have great tips.

Agreed, I used to watch Rock Solid when we had cable. I miss that show. :(

/ Stone age
I have several rock solid shows recorded. I haven't seen them for quite some time now so I assumed they were no longer on the air. I actually don't like the work these guys do on Stone Age. I don't know why anyone would like the driftwood and steel sculptures messing up a very nice looking and functional layout. Also they go overboard with the waterfalls. I think they do it to stand out but wet rocks should not be a place for kids to play to cool down.

/ Stone age #5  
I've seen the show and recorded it as well. I was almost going to post a similar thread here a week or so ago due to the extensive featuring of the Kubota GL3940 TLB. I like that they show them using the tractor to move the rocks and materials and the backhoe to dig out for patios, trenches, etc. I like they're work, but you're right that most of the hardscapes are not for small children. I think they're creations are more for mature couples or families. And the artwork is, of course, subjective. I'd like to see more of this show, but DIY seems to have a lot of short run programs - maybe 10-12 shows that they recycle periodically.

/ Stone age #6  
The guys on Rock Solid inspired me to try a little stone work. It sure was nice moving the stone with the Kubota. The natural stone came from a local quarry; $99 a ton--they are called random--different sizes. I misspoke in my earlier post, the guys are named, Derek and Dean. As usual, the short guy gets picked on by the bigger guy.

Attachments

• Stone Retaining Wall 2.jpg
    Stone Retaining Wall 2.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 147
  • Kubota BX25 with Stone.jpg
    Kubota BX25 with Stone.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
   / Stone age
I've done some with rocks I have around here. Free is always nice to learn with. I'm starting to get the hang of using feathers and wedge to split the rock as well as a chipping the edge of the rocks to make them fit better without taking too much or damaging them. These are not up to date but should give you an idea.
rockwall2-Copy_zps719bd653.jpg

rockwall-Copy_zps69a891b1.jpg

/ Stone age #8  
Those look like nice stacking stones, Al. Here's another shot of my walls softened with some plants.

Attachments

• Stone Walls with Plants EM.JPG
    Stone Walls with Plants EM.JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 119
   / Stone age
Nice. That's the look I'm going for. I'm dry stacking the stone because I don't want to deal with getting a solid base below the frost line.

/ Stone age #10  
I'm no big time wall expert, but I think, retaining walls, under 3 feet and built relatively well, are pretty forgiving. You just have to make sure water-laden soil won't freeze and push it over in the wintertime.