Storing backhoe attachment for the winter?

/ Storing backhoe attachment for the winter? #1  

davedj1

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501
I have never owned a backhoe before, I want to take it off for the winter (sub frame mount) .
What is the best position to leave it in for ease of taking it off and putting it back on.
The backhoe in question is a Woods Groundbreaker 7500 on my Kubota L2850.
Thanks and pics of yours stored would help :)

/ Storing backhoe attachment for the winter? #2  
Its easier if the ground is flat where its going to sit. Other then that I don't think much about it. You can back nicely over the sub frame and hook the hydraulics up and lift it up nice and straight to pin back on the tractor. So the flatter the better.

/ Storing backhoe attachment for the winter?
That's what I was looking for, thanks :)
I guess I'll put some blocking under it and just leave it there.

/ Storing backhoe attachment for the winter? #4  
Before I remove the BH I grease all the fittings.

I then place a piece of planking anywhere metal touches the ground, just to avoid rust. I also cover exposed piston surfaces with a coat of automotive grease. Sure they are chrome plated but I'm a belt and suspenders type of guy. I cover the whole BH with a loose fitting tarp to keep snow and rain off.

If this is the first time you're removing your BH you may have a problem reconnecting your quick disconnects come spring. The BH could sag a bit over the winter and build up some pressure in the lines. If that happens you'll have a hard time reconnecting them. Just tap in the end of the quick disconnect with a plastic hammer to release whatever pressure may have built up during storage.

Before I remove the BH I grease all the fittings.

I then place a piece of planking anywhere metal touches the ground, just to avoid rust. I also cover exposed piston surfaces with a coat of automotive grease. Sure they are chrome plated but I'm a belt and suspenders type of guy. I cover the whole BH with a loose fitting tarp to keep snow and rain off.

If this is the first time you're removing your BH you may have a problem reconnecting your quick disconnects come spring. The BH could sag a bit over the winter and build up some pressure in the lines. If that happens you'll have a hard time reconnecting them. Just tap in the end of the quick disconnect with a plastic hammer to release whatever pressure may have built up during storage.

Thanks for the tips. I don't have quick connects, it has it's own pump that goes on the PTO shaft.

/ Storing backhoe attachment for the winter? #6  
Plan to turn my old engine hoist cherry picker to some, into a storage dolly for my backhoe attachment. You said no quick connects, mine does and I always connect them together rather than rely on the caps and no pressure buildup either

/ Storing backhoe attachment for the winter? #7  
I have a Kubota L3560HSTC with a BH92 backhoe, I always store mine inside the barn on a dolly I made. I prevent "sag" of the out-riggers by hooking them together with a tie-down ratchet strap. P1050002.JPGPB260001.JPG

/ Storing backhoe attachment for the winter? #8  
Are you going to store it indoors? I have a BX 23 S, and I purchased a backhoe dolly from BXPANDED. It is absolutely great!! I just wheel it up to the back of the tractor, off load the back hoe, and then push the backhoe on the dolly to the corner of my garage. Makes for easy, fast, and convenient storage of a heavy implement. Just put mine back on the old orange rig Tuesday to dig up my septic tank for a clean out. I'm very impressed with how easy it has made with removing and reinstalling the backhoe. Money I will never regret spending!!!! I hope this helps.

Are you going to store it indoors? I have a BX 23 S, and I purchased a backhoe dolly from BXPANDED. It is absolutely great!! I just wheel it up to the back of the tractor, off load the back hoe, and then push the backhoe on the dolly to the corner of my garage. Makes for easy, fast, and convenient storage of a heavy implement. Just put mine back on the old orange rig Tuesday to dig up my septic tank for a clean out. I'm very impressed with how easy it has made with removing and reinstalling the backhoe. Money I will never regret spending!!!! I hope this helps.

Unfortunately I have no space to store it indoors, I wish I did ...lol

/ Storing backhoe attachment for the winter? #10  
A dolly is wonderful. I have the BXpanded one but you could easily build one. Regardless, having flat ground to store and reinstall it will save you some real headaches. Being able to roll it around is the icing on the top.