Storing backhoe, stabilizer arms bleeding

/ Storing backhoe, stabilizer arms bleeding #1  

thunder86

Silver Member
Tractor
Bobcat ct4045
I cut a 20” log as a backhoe stand to rest on. When I pulled away I thought I could bleed the stabilizer arms down just like I do my front loader bucket but it wouldn’t go. Is it ok to leave it like this and just let it bleed down on it’s own? Or do I need to completely raise those stabilizer arms and pin them? I’d like to keep them down so it helps it not fall over.

Attachments

• 132A65EA-F2AD-42E6-848B-9A2896512C90.jpeg
    132A65EA-F2AD-42E6-848B-9A2896512C90.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 96
  • 5CB7C654-6AEB-47E4-B211-CEF1E266905E.jpeg
    5CB7C654-6AEB-47E4-B211-CEF1E266905E.jpeg
    6.1 MB · Views: 92
   / Storing backhoe, stabilizer arms bleeding #2  
If you leave them down your ram cylinders are exposed and will accelerate damage to them.

As this is a new backhoe I would be surprised if they bleed down, seals are likely too new for that.

/ Storing backhoe, stabilizer arms bleeding #3  
I’d take it off the log and just put the pin mounts on some shorter blocks. There’s no benefit to being on the log and making of more tip prone. I’d also roll the bucket out and buy the stick all the way out and put the stabilizers up. You want to keep any cylinders possible fully retracted to prevent rust.

/ Storing backhoe, stabilizer arms bleeding #4  
It isn't just the cylinder seals that can bleed down, there is also some valve leakage. All cylinders bleed down eventually over long periods of time, especially if they are connected to other hydraulic components. If you are relying on the stabilizers to keep the hoe upright, it may slowly tip as this slow leakage occurs.

/ Storing backhoe, stabilizer arms bleeding #5  
There is an old post on here somewhere, where a person parked a backhoe and was counting on the stabilizers to keep it upright. He had a health problem including an extensive stay in the hospital so it was (I think) 2 years before he got back to the backhoe which had fallen over on it's side. I.E. don't count on the stabilizers to hold the backhoe for long periods of time.

/ Storing backhoe, stabilizer arms bleeding #6  
How did you try to bleed it down? Were hoses still connected to tractor (but hoe unhitched)? Unhooked hoses are going to be hard to bleed down.
With the male end of a hydraulic hose, you can push in the ball to relieve pressure (and some oil) to lower cylinders, depending on how much pressure is in the hose. Looks like your connection is a female port. I’m not sure if you can work the collar on the female connection to open a passage to relieve pressure, while you’re also working the control lever to lower the stabilizer arms.

/ Storing backhoe, stabilizer arms bleeding
So I need to keep as much of the cylinders inside as possible both stabilizer arms and bucket. I believe the log would hold it without tipping over. It’s 20” diameter, if anything I’ll cut another just like it and put them side by side.

How did you try to bleed it down? Were hoses still connected to tractor (but hoe unhitched)? Unhooked hoses are going to be hard to bleed down.
With the male end of a hydraulic hose, you can push in the ball to relieve pressure (and some oil) to lower cylinders. Looks like your connection is a female port. I’m not sure if you can work the collar on the female connection to open a passage to relieve pressure, while you’re also working the control lever to lower the stabilizer arms.
I had already unhooked all the lines. I didn’t expect not to be able to drop them. After reading the comments though I’m gonna keep them pinned up and try being the bucket up so that cylinder isn’t out as much too.

/ Storing backhoe, stabilizer arms bleeding #9  
Can you back up to it, reconnect hoses (only) and move cylinders to desired position?

Can you back up to it, reconnect hoses (only) and move cylinders to desired position?
Yes. I can reconnect hoses and move them up. Everything is perfect working order, just wanted opinions on what I was doing.