Storing chains

/ Storing chains #41  
How do you guys store your chains when not in use
I zip-tied a piece of dense foam on the top cross member between the loader arms and wrap two different size chains over the foam. Works pretty well for me.

/ Storing chains #42  
I zip-tied a piece of dense foam on the top cross member between the loader arms and wrap two different size chains over the foam. Works pretty well for me.
I also have several chains in my homemade carryall box F2A8D0D6-F7F2-4282-880C-B90477988028.png

/ Storing chains #43  
Hanging in the barn.

I tractor with a purpose. I don't carry chains unless I need them for a task.

/ Storing chains #44  
I give all you people the thumbs up for great ways of storing chain;)

If I had to pick a favorite it would have to be Xfaxman's plastic gas container with the pouring end cut off.

/ Storing chains #45  
I have a gravel floor in the part of my barn where the tractors and atv's rest, so I have a 12"x3/4" bolt sticking out of a hole in a post about 4' above the gravel floor, and I hang the chains over that. I spray them down with WD-40 after heavy use (logging) or when they get wet. Spray paint the hook pairs different colors for each chain length (4', 8', 12') and you'll soon learn which one to grab when you need it.
You don't need a lot of WD-40 that way - just soak the tops around the bolt and it will migrate and form a film around most of it on it's way down.
On the tractors I hang them on the front brushguard, the FEL bucket hook, or the 3-point hitch. Always leave a slack loop just before the 'upside-down' hook hooked back to the chain body (or some good spot) so that gravity keeps it hooked together. That way you don't rip something off when one end falls off and rolls under a rear tire.

/ Storing chains #46  
How do you guys store your chains when not in use
Hang log chains on a nail or hook in the shed for storage.
Hang the tire chains also on nails on wall studs.

Carry a few short chains in the ballast box on the 3ph for convenient access when working the tractor and need to lift something or pull.

Last edited:
   / Storing chains #48  
   / Storing chains #49  
Yeah - nice work on chain storage!
Mine are in ammo cans in the garage and the tie down chains stay in the tool box on my trailer.

/ Storing chains #50  
Too easy to lose or misplace.. just add a grab hook a few inches from one end with a grab hook and easy to shorten the chain.. very handy, and don't have to look for it.

Good idea but it's usually unable to add a grab hook mid chain easily as the appropriately sized pin will not fit through consecutive links.

Plus most times I need to shorten somewhere convenient in the middle.