Storm Area 51

/ Storm Area 51 #233  
Short for Kreton (sp?) Silly of me to think C and not K. Woke up, thinking I might have had a strokie! Couldn't remember a phone number I dial all the time, amoung other confusion.

/ Storm Area 51 #234  
When I was growing up, during and after WWII, that was the only term I ever heard used..."The Japs bombed Pearl Harbor".

WWII was before my time, but I remember a photo in history class of the historic newspaper headline, JAPS SURRENDER. That’s what led me to believe it’s just a normal term.

Years later, I’m with my Japanese college sweat heart, I had a few beers, she did something silly, I laughed and called her a little Jap. I can tell you that she was offended, and out of concern for my sex life, I changed my language.

On a sort of related note, I asked her once why Japan attacked Pearl Harbor. I was curious as to how Japan addressed that particular piece of history to future generations. She stated that there was no reason - they just attacked.

That seemed overly simplified to me, but her schooling made no attempt to somehow justify it.

/ Storm Area 51 #235  
^^ In the 40s, there were a lot of words in common use that can't be uttered now.

I'd like to think we've grown up a bit since then.

/ Storm Area 51 #236  
^^ In the 40s, there were a lot of words in common use that can't be uttered now.

I'd like to think we've grown up a bit since then.

There have probably been 2 new derogatory words invented for every one that has fallen out of favor.

/ Storm Area 51 #237  
I don稚 know if you know or care, but 笛ap is considered the Japanese equivalent of the n-word.

.... I had always thought it was just short for Japanese.

....and here I thought calling someone a Nip was the equivalent of the "N-word" (short for Nipponese, i.e. someone from Nippon (Japan).)
Maybe the offense is calling them anything short ("Hey, don't call me short!")

Actually, the most offensive word in the above sentence is the word "them". Most won't figure this out.

To me words are just words and it's the context that makes it offensive, or not. There's either hate or love.
What is most offensive (and anti-American) is not treating people as individuals.
The concept of "them", "those people", "the others" is a way to strip people of their individuality, the first divisive step to de-humanizing them.
From there, applying cruelty becomes easy...

You have to be on guard for language like this and recognize that when you hear people using those terms, you should ask yourself: "Is it okay to punch this Nazi?"
:D :stirthepot:

/ Storm Area 51 #239  
...To me words are just words and it's the context that makes it offensive, or not. There's either hate or love.
The concept of "them", "those people", "the others" is a way to strip people of their individuality, the first divisive step to de-humanizing them. ...
IMHO, these two paragraphs contradict each other.

“Those people” can be an insult, as in “We don’t allow those people in here.” It can also be a simple reference to a group of people as part of normal non-hateful conversation.