Straight ditch at the neighbors

/ Straight ditch at the neighbors #11  
I can't believe the neighbor let you that close to that flower pot!!

/ Straight ditch at the neighbors
Great job.

I hope he lays everything he can think of in there before the back fill based on my past regrets. :)

His house is only about a year old. Not good planning on his part. :( When I built mine 10 years ago I ran 2 inch conduit out to the area I one day wanted to build a barn. So in my 9 year old barn I have an electrical panel, phone and house water. :laughing::laughing:

/ Straight ditch at the neighbors #13  
Depending on the soil underground rated wire is in it can deteriorate worse than it would if protected in conduit. Lay in extra runs for possible future use while the ditch is open too.
The unprotected by conduit underground wire is also susceptible to being damaged by any rocks in the ditch when it it back-filled and tamped and by movement by frost, etc. Plastic conduit is cheap insurance against having to re lay a damaged run. Do it one time the right way.:)

/ Straight ditch at the neighbors
Depending on the soil underground rated wire is in it can deteriorate worse than it would if protected in conduit. Lay in extra runs for possible future use while the ditch is open too.
The unprotected by conduit underground wire is also susceptible to being damaged by any rocks in the ditch when it it back-filled and tamped and by movement by frost, etc. Plastic conduit is cheap insurance against having to re lay a damaged run. Do it one time the right way.:)

It's not my ditch. :thumbsup: I told him I had used sand to line the bottom of my ditches when building my house and then cover the wire and water pipe, different ditches, with sand to prevent rocks from damaging the wire or water pipe. He is just going to fill it in with the material :confused2: that came out of the ground. His wire. his ditch, so he can do it how he wants.

/ Straight ditch at the neighbors #15  
Good job!

I had a similar experience with my neighbour coming home from out of town to find 3' of snow in his driveway and no way to get his car in. He was trying to clear out a 80' driveway with a snowscoop.

That same feeling of obligation and I had his driveway cleared in about 6 minutes.

Good for you Mousefield to take it on.

Jon

/ Straight ditch at the neighbors #16  
Jimmy J asked what happened to my underground installation with underground rated wire. I had a 220 line out to a pond for an aerator and a 110 line for driveway lights, both shorted out after a few years. 5-6 years for the 220 and 10-12 years for the driveway lights. So I reburied them with conduit and no problems since. I do not know what caused the short, the one I dug up was pretty black, stiff and cracked. The driveway wires got paved over so when that went I had to leave them there and reroute the wire. With conduit you can use single strand wire, which is easy to pull.