Strange chainsaw?

/ Strange chainsaw? #13  
Sounds like they got it tuned in pretty good. I thought it would be a little more wild but very cool just the same.

/ Strange chainsaw? #14  
did the guy still have all hands and fingers

/ Strange chainsaw? #15  
Strange one I remember is the Wright Saw. Was a big reciprocating saw, like a big gas powered Sawzall.
My Grandfather had one; I remember my Dad using it a couple times in the early 1970's.

/ Strange chainsaw? #16  
Strange one I remember is the Wright Saw. Was a big reciprocating saw, like a big gas powered Sawzall.
My Grandfather had one; I remember my Dad using it a couple times in the early 1970's.

I have one of those saws. Been several years since I have ran it but it did run. that saw was invented about 40 years too early. They make a very straight and smooth edge cut through some thick material, and were in demand by the log cabin builders. they were going for like $600 in early 2000's. Along with the wood tooth blade they also made a bone saw blade for quartering large animal.

The reciprocating part is actually connected to a rod that sticks out of the top of a second non firing piston and cylinder.

/ Strange chainsaw? #17  
I have one of those saws. Been several years since I have ran it but it did run. that saw was invented about 40 years too early. They make a very straight and smooth edge cut through some thick material, and were in demand by the log cabin builders. they were going for like $600 in early 2000's. Along with the wood tooth blade they also made a bone saw blade for quartering large animal.

The reciprocating part is actually connected to a rod that sticks out of the top of a second non firing piston and cylinder.
I had read a while back that the Wright saws were used to cut up things like railroad ties too. Those raise havoc with chainsaw chains and bars.

/ Strange chainsaw? #18  
After watching JasperFrank's video of the 2-man McCulloch taking almost a minute to make the first cut (1:34 to 2:30) I Googled "North American record for 2-man crosscut saw" to see how fast competitive sawyers were. Most relevant hit was an article from the Lewiston, ME Sun Journal of 6/15/2014, 1999-world-record-shattered-two-man-crosscut-debut-rumford-lumberjacking-contest. It reported "Jerry Gingras of Errol, N.H., and Richard Jordan of Canterbury, Conn., cut through the [14" x 14"] block of white pine twice in 6.1 seconds, shattering the 1999 record of 8.4 seconds . . ."

A little math: 14" x 14" x 2 = 392 sq in; 2 x √(392/pi) = 22.3. So the cross section of a round log 22.3" in diameter would be equal to cross section of two, 14" square timbers. No doubt Mssrs. Gringas and Jordan's saw was sharper than the McCulloch's chain, but I doubt the record breakers were more fatigued than the chainsaw operators at the end of the cuts.

/ Strange chainsaw? #19  
Sure it is not a meat saw for splitting large animals?

/ Strange chainsaw? #20  
Like everything in motorsports, it keeps escalating until you have top fuel chainsaws.