Strat-O-span, anyone have one?

/ Strat-O-span, anyone have one? #1  

TMGT

Elite Member
Tractor
B2620
Looking at building a shop at the new house, plan was to do a red iron building, but with current pricing I don't think it's an option.

Was looking at the Strat-O-span steel framed building and they appear to fit my application and cost about 20k less.

Does anyone have first hand experience with their steel framed buildings? Only downside I see so far is they stop at 45ft for the width, I was planning on 50ft but I think I can get it a little longer and make up for it.

Currently priced out at 45x60 and it's very reasonable even with some options I want.

I'm going to contact them again today and see if they can get me a quote for for 45x70.

Sent from my SM-G715U1 using TractorByNet mobile app

/ Strat-O-span, anyone have one? #2  
I'm very interested-
How current are all prices?
Steel prices have come down greatly since and are about where they were at the beginning of the year (when my 40x20 carport collapsed).
steel-11-2021.JPG

/ Strat-O-span, anyone have one?
I got quotes yesterday from SOS and Olympia, had quotes from General and a couple other companies a few months ago.

Even if steel prices are coming down I don't you'll see building prices come down any time soon.

The other advantages to the SOS building is that it had a 3/12 pitch opposed to a 1 or 2/12 like a lot of the other companies(can be done with 3/12 but cost $). I also like that I can add overhangs pretty cheap on the SOS.

I have a few other quotes to get, but honestly most of the steel building companies I've delt with have been high sales pressure tactics which I hate, SOS has been the most laid back and seem the most open on providing pricing and options cost.

This is what I got from SOS, other companies don't even want to put anything in writing and basically want me to negotiate which seems ridiculous. Olympia was at 72k for a 50x60 spc'd the same (but with a 2/12 pitch).
20211124_064916.jpg

/ Strat-O-span, anyone have one? #4  
I got quotes yesterday from SOS and Olympia, had quotes from General and a couple other companies a few months ago.

Even if steel prices are coming down I don't you'll see building prices come down any time soon.

The other advantages to the SOS building is that it had a 3/12 pitch opposed to a 1 or 2/12 like a lot of the other companies(can be done with 3/12 but cost $). I also like that I can add overhangs pretty cheap on the SOS.

I have a few other quotes to get, but honestly most of the steel building companies I've delt with have been high sales pressure tactics which I hate, SOS has been the most laid back and seem the most open on providing pricing and options cost.

This is what I got from SOS, other companies don't even want to put anything in writing and basically want me to negotiate which seems ridiculous. Olympia was at 72k for a 50x60 spc'd the same (but with a 2/12 pitch).View attachment 722135

Looks like great pricing!
Can you first get a look at someone else's building by the same supplier?
Maybe ask SOS for a buyer reference?

I'm going to ask them about references when I call them here in a little bit. I'm pretty sure I'll be going with them, now I'm just going to see if a 45x70 is doable!

/ Strat-O-span, anyone have one? #6  
I'm going to ask them about references when I call them here in a little bit. I'm pretty sure I'll be going with them, now I'm just going to see if a 45x70 is doable!

BIGGER is ALWAYS BETTER in storage buildings!
No one has ever said: "I wish I had built a smaller building!"

/ Strat-O-span, anyone have one? #7  
Looks like great pricing!
Can you first get a look at someone else's building by the same supplier?
Maybe ask SOS for a buyer reference?
This is where my attempt fell apart.

No one had any local references I could view.

Some claimed local builds but always said owners were not open to strangers

I called them this morning and chatted for a bit, they sent me a quote for a 45x70 and also gave me contact info for 2 people that have their building, 1 is local, 1 is a little bit aways.
I plan on contacting them this Sat and hopefully the more local one will let me take a look at it in person. It's a smaller building, 24x24x8, but will give me a better idea on the build quality.

I think the 45x70 will push the budget a bit depending on concrete cost. If its too close I can get any length in 1ft increments so might go 63 or 66 to keep from having to rip a panel for the ends.

Going to 70ft will require moving some dirt which im not thrilled about but also shouldn't be a big deal. The building will back up to a berm that was put in a few years ago for a shooting area, I don't plan on shooting there as there's a larger range on the property also so losing it isn't a big deal.

I'll have to either cut back the berm or remove it entirely, the good news is it should be easy digging as it's not that old and all the rest of the site is pretty flat already. The biggest hurdle will be putting in about 80ft of culvert so I can get over the drainage ditch to access the building!

/ Strat-O-span, anyone have one? #9  
My ideal shop which I don't have is 40 x 96 with one large gable end door and 4 garage doors down the side and lean too awning on the opposite gable.

It's like having four 24x40 garages side by side... with the last one a dedicated shop with repair lean too adjoining.

The high gable door let's all the big stuff in the 40x72 open space.

I wish I could go that big, even the 45x70 will be straining the budget depending on concrete cost.

I already ordered doors since they are about 6mo out.
1 14x14 and 1 12x10 on the gable with a 12x10 on side, towards the back.