Straw Blower From 7734

/ Straw Blower From 7734 #1  

The Fred

Veteran Member
Tractor
Boost it and Lose!
Follow along as I try to revamp this old 80s Reinco TM7-30X straw blower. She's been beat pretty badly over the years.

She'll go or blow when we're done with her.

Might take some time it took me a year to finish my stupid wood cart.

Fred

IMGP0011_zpszgmuike4.jpg

Dis-assembly reveals she's pretty far gone.

IMGP0004_zpsmxj5obwg.jpg

IMGP0007_zps1zrx5wy9.jpg

IMGP0009_zpsrxvij4xo.jpg

Pretty well stripped and loving my excavator for shop projects.

IMGP0013_zpslabhyz0y.jpg

IMGP0015_zps5ldxogun.jpg

Fred

Last edited:
   / Straw Blower From 7734 #2  
Looks like a Wisconsin v4 like we had on a tobacco sprayer years ago, those things were almost bullet proof.

/ Straw Blower From 7734
Yes it is a W4 1770. I'd like to re-power this machine with something a little more "creative".

Not sure what to use, Fred

/ Straw Blower From 7734 #4  
Yes it is a W4 1770. I'd like to re-power this machine with something a little more "creative".

Not sure what to use, Fred

The Fred it,
What part of that machine is {pretty far gone}?
Are u talkin about the seal in the bearing pic?
Iam curious, Maybe u should just cut ur losses and sell that piece of crap 2 me and buy something else...
Eric.

Last edited:
   / Straw Blower From 7734
Whoa, whoa, wait just a minute! With the exception of the cheap Chinese fuel pump someone added to band-aid the bad mechanical pump this baby is 100% Amurican made and completely rebuildable. Besides It's not mine but a friend's that I offered to fix it up for so I could use it occasionally to fix my lawn so I wouldn't have to rent one anymore.
IMGP0001_zpsg9uf9ohs.jpg

Everything on this thing is toasted, even the wheel bearings and tires are clapped out.

The owner says the only problem with the machine is it's lack of power :laughing:
Sounds familiar doesn't it. Maybe a turbo would help! How about a 5.3 Chevy motor, would that be better?
IMGP0003_zpsmxsgtupv.jpg

IMGP0005%202_zpszjhdw00l.jpg

IMGP0004%202_zpsdxy3qsre.jpg

I think this might just work out. Ordered a Toro Workmaster governor off Ebay today. Not sure what the original RPM was but probably not 6500:bomb:

IMGP0007_zpstotcnjtf.jpg

IMGP0008_zpsrgvi0d49.jpg

Regards, Fredit cleaning out the attic of LS1 parts! :janitor:

Last edited:
   / Straw Blower From 7734
Back on this thing finally must finish by Spring. Man what a pile of work. Adding a mechanical governor from a Toro Workman and software to limit RPM if someone overrides the governor. Built a coupler from plate steel and a Mercedes Benz driveshaft flex joint.

IMGP0059_zpsvyosaquu.jpg

IMGP0061_zpsc4ulcllx.jpg

IMGP0067_zpstdz2l8aj.jpg

IMGP0069_zpshkeono0f.jpg

IMGP0068_zps1jkrb84g.jpg

Final engine choice is 2000 Camaro 346 LS1 from a wrecked NYS Thruway cop car that got rear ended. One goal is to be able to remove the powerplant in very short order for servicing.

Wish me luck, I need it, Fred

/ Straw Blower From 7734 #7  
Dont know much about Renco blowers. Had a yellowjacket with 24in blower fan once. It was a similar design as the renco, finn, bowie and a lot of the other frail type blowers. Never saw a direct couple between the engine and blower before. Most everybody else uses a belt and pulley system to make the connections. From personal experience using other brands, there is considerable shock loading when you throw in the blocks of straw. Using belts provides a shock absorbing devise to help keep from beating the bearing out of the engine. I might be wrong, but I see a broken engine crankshaft in your future. That little car engine isnt made for commercial duty and I dont think the bearing will hold up. Thats just my opinion and it wont be the first time I have been wrong. How did you balance the plate you added to the flywheel?.

/ Straw Blower From 7734
It hasn't been balanced yet. I turned it out in a brake lathe and milling machine. Checked on the machine it has .005" runout.

The disc coupler/flex joint is made of a fibrous rubber and has some flex unlike the original coupler shown in the photo of the Wisconsin engine.

You're right I might have trouble brewing. I can't stop now lol.

Fred

/ Straw Blower From 7734 #9  
Didnt realize your coupler had fibrous rubber in it. It looked to be a splined shaft coupling. The original coupling looked to be a very large lovejoy type, these usually have a rubber insert to take care of shock. I dont know if one type is better or worse than the other, but I would have been tempted to of just went back with the lovejoy type. Looks like it lasted well for several years. They also make one that is three metal pieces with two seperate rubber inserts, sort of like two lovejoys back to back, we use them in high vibration situations.

/ Straw Blower From 7734
Finally getting this old junker up and running. Still lots to do.

Chevy LS1 power detuned to 2400 RPM with software

IMGP0007 (2).JPGIMGP0007.JPGIMGP0013.JPGIMGP0014.JPGIMGP0015.JPG
IMGP0045.JPGIMGP0044.JPG