Streaming services versus Direct TV

/ Streaming services versus Direct TV #1  

Furu

Veteran Member
Tractor
I have had Direct TV for nearly 20 years. Been very satisfied in general but it has become very expensive in the last several years and the value is just not there any more.

I know a little about streaming services but need to get a lot smarter and knowledgeable on the mechanism of streaming services.
I looked at several and it seems as if there is no one size fits all and it is very difficult to actually see what is available on each platform. That is something that I just will have to muddle through I guess.

We have not actually watched anything real time for a long time. It is recorded and then watched later. Benefit - Fast forward through commercials and watch when you want to watch.

My questions are about the following.
1. I know that a lot of streaming services have older programs that you can choose the season and the episode that you want to watch. Pretty simple. No real need to record and watch because you can watch what you want when you want at any time. NO NEED TO RECORD

2. What about current programing? Is there any way to record streaming service programs like you can with a DVR. Set up to automatically record program XXX every time it airs.

3. Wife watches football but rarely in real time. Can that be recorded and watched an hour or two later?

4. Does a DVR exist or a software program that can be put on a computer that will record a streaming service everytime a specific program is broadcast.

5. Can local programming - News Weather etc be acquired from streaming services?

In our area there is no ability to get over the air signals so that is not viable. Heck we don't even have cell coverage at the house.

I am more than ready to ditch Direct TV but I can not seem to let go of losing the DVR and the ability that gives you to record a program for later watching.

/ Streaming services versus Direct TV #2  
As soon as we got an high speed internet we dropped Direct TV(20+years).
Amazon Firestick is the way to go,lots of free programs.I subscribe to Youtube TV and will most if not all you want.
Way less than Direct TV.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / Streaming services versus Direct TV
Was reading that Paramount Plus works on Android and IOS. Nothing about working on your TV. Can you get it on your TV?

As soon as we got an high speed internet we dropped Direct TV(20+years).
Amazon Firestick is the way to go,lots of free programs.I subscribe to Youtube TV and will most if not all you want.
Way less than Direct TV.
Will look at Amazon Firestick but does it have local programing? Do you have any feedback/answers on my questions?

/ Streaming services versus Direct TV #5  
I had DirecTV for many, many years. Ranged from very good experiences to poor at times.

A few years ago we ditched it and went all streaming. Many of our TV's can run streaming apps natively, such as the streaming app Hulu. We pay about $70/mo for Hulu Live TV plus, so we get live broadcasts plus movies, etc. The DVR capability is native to the app.

Some of our older TV's (such as barn, wherever) could not run streaming apps natively. So I bought a few Roku devices (Roku ultra) for about $70/each. If you have a Roku device, pretty much any TV will work for streaming. Plus you can purchase movies via Roku that are not available if you only use the Hulu app native in the TV.

It works really well. And Hulu lets us stream to TV, tablet, phone, whatever. When we go camping I have live TV streaming on my tablet at the campsite table. Maybe an annoyance for others to have digital devices intrude on the great outdoors, but it's nice to catch up on the news once in a while.

I did not notice-- is your internet bandwidth OK for streaming? We use Starlink and it is almost flawless.

/ Streaming services versus Direct TV #6  
ps I added Peacock network for $6/mo so we could watch the KC Chiefs football game. After the 30 days is up I'll probably cancel it as Hulu provides what we need ....

/ Streaming services versus Direct TV #7  
So...just what kind of "high speed internet" is necessary to stream? Asking because my internet is pretty slow...on good days I may have 5 Mbps.

/ Streaming services versus Direct TV #8  
@Furu - 1st off these are my opinions & there are a lot of factors based on location & what services you use.

There are a ton of options but they need to be based on your location & viewing preferences. Are you sure off-air (antenna) is not an option (regardless of cell service)? Some of the newer antennas can pickup towers miles & miles away...

Streaming Devices: Fire Stick (especially if you are already a Amazon Prime Member) & Roku are by far the most popular & supported. Streaming devices will not include local channels They will be an add-on paid service.

DVR services: TiVo & Tabio are probable to 2 most popular hardware services; that said many of the paid streaming services have a DVR function included with their subscriptions

Top streaming services: Hulu, Sling, YouTube, Philo... most of these will offer a local channel package also...

I had DirecTV for many, many years. Ranged from very good experiences to poor at times.

A few years ago we ditched it and went all streaming. Many of our TV's can run streaming apps natively, such as the streaming app Hulu. We pay about $70/mo for Hulu Live TV plus, so we get live broadcasts plus movies, etc. The DVR capability is native to the app.

Some of our older TV's (such as barn, wherever) could not run streaming apps natively. So I bought a few Roku devices (Roku ultra) for about $70/each. If you have a Roku device, pretty much any TV will work for streaming. Plus you can purchase movies via Roku that are not available if you only use the Hulu app native in the TV.

It works really well. And Hulu lets us stream to TV, tablet, phone, whatever. When we go camping I have live TV streaming on my tablet at the campsite table. Maybe an annoyance for others to have digital devices intrude on the great outdoors, but it's nice to catch up on the news once in a while.

I did not notice-- is your internet bandwidth OK for streaming? We use Starlink and it is almost flawless.
How much bandwidth do you really need to stream these services?
Since you use Starlink without going for the Starlink Roam for $150 can you use the Starlink Home ($120) in two different locations and only two. I have been looking for an answer to that and find nothing. I can find no tech or customer support number to ask the question either.

Last edited:
   / Streaming services versus Direct TV #10  
Minimum for streaming is 5MB down.