Stuck between a farm pro and a JD?

/ Stuck between a farm pro and a JD? #1  

kjsayers

I am very new to the whole tractor scene. I bought a home with some land a few months ago so I need a small tractor. I am enticed by the Farm Pro 2420. A dealer a few hours away has an offer of one with turf tires, 4' bush hog, 5' finish mower and a 16' trailer for $5895. Or, my local JD dealer has a new 2210 with a 5' belly mower for 10K and a used 755 no attachments for $6950. I know JD has the reputation and would be conveint if I need service. But i still cannot get the Farm pro deal out of my head. What are some opinions. BTW i need to mow 2 finished ac. and 5 field ac.

/ Stuck between a farm pro and a JD? #2  
Those two JD models are sized about right for 7 acres, especially if your activity is limited to mowing.

The FarmPro price you listed strongly suggests the two mowers are Chinese. The finish mower has a reputation for flat tires and shredded belts. The rotary cutter is reported to howl like a banshee.

I'd get a 2nd quote from the FP dealer, one that includes mower upgrades. THEN see if it still looks better than the JD prices.

//greg//

/ Stuck between a farm pro and a JD?
What sort of upgrades should I ask for?

/ Stuck between a farm pro and a JD? #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( What sort of upgrades should I ask for? )</font>

Well, if he sells them - a finish mower and a rotary cutter that aren't made in China. Poke around the Chinese tractor forums for a while, use search terms that are associated with Chinese implements. I think you'll find the vast majority of Chinese tractor owners anywhere between reasonably and greatly satisfied with their tractors. A lot of them bought the whole ticket, and it's from them I've picked up an undercurrent of dissatisfaction with Chinese implements; most commonly finish mowers, rotary cutters, backhoes, and FELs - generally in that order.

Myself, I've had three Chinese tractors - and zero Chinese implements. To be fair, I've heard GOOD things about Chinese woodchippers. But that doesn't much apply to your questions.

//greg//

/ Stuck between a farm pro and a JD? #5  
I think the going price for that tractor from one of Homier/Farm Pro gypsy tool shows is $3995 plus tax. I would assume your local dealer would sell it for the same price.

I have the stripped down Farm Pro 2420 with ag tires and no power steering. I have run a 4' King Kutter bush hog behind it with no problems(even in high grass). I have had a few problems but for the money it is a great tractor. I bought it a couple of years ago new when Homier was first selling. I think they were marking this tractor up $100.

Some of the chinese implements are a different story as Greg commented. I didn't buy the bug hog with the tractor because they didn't have any. I ended up paying $150 more for a King Kutter brand but I definitely think it is better made. I did buy Farm Pro's 5' box blade and it has been decent. The metal that attaches to the tractor on the three point hitch started bending when I was backing up pushing dirt behind me. It bent until it somewhat tensioned itself and hasn't bent much more. I quickly learned that I couldn't "abuse" this attachment. I did spread 10 loaded of top soil dumped from a tandem axle dump truck around my building. For a $250 box blade as I was more than happy with the results.

Like Greg said get him to price you some better implements. It may tack $500-$600 more onto the price but you won't regret it. Also make sure you fully evaluate what implements you need. If you don't think you'll use it much I wouldn't buy it. They can clutter a garage up real fast /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Stuck between a farm pro and a JD? #6  
Dealer price is higher because of freight. The road show guys don't have freight charged against the tractors. Also the dealer discount on the turf tire model is much lower percentage than the other models, don't ask me why...

I don't stock this model for this reason, I suggest buyers get them from a road show or or a few dollars more, move into a 4wd tractor that can do more work.

The finish mower that Farm Pro sells is not the same Jinma mower that others have reported on. It is decent with the main problem being the pneumatic tires. spend a few dollars on some solid wheels and it is hard to beat at much less than $700. Like comparing most of the Chinese tractors, you can get one that may be 50% better, but it costs 100% more!

/ Stuck between a farm pro and a JD? #7  
I would think that if mowing is your main usage that you would want something with power steering, it would be worth upgrading for-even if it were $500 more-in my opinion. King utter, Woods, and my mower is a J-Bar all seem to be better upgrades in a finish mower too. I am sure that price is the driving factor (isn't it always) but you might use this outfit for the rest of your life and I would get what you will be comfortable with.

Bill

/ Stuck between a farm pro and a JD?
Thanks for all the info guys. Another concern I have is turning radius. Now I assume it is not going to be ggreat, but what can I expect?

/ Stuck between a farm pro and a JD? #9  
Ditto what the others say. Get that quote again with a different mower.. even if a howse or KK.. post back what you see. If the price is over the lone 7xx series jd.. I might consider that one...

Soundguy

/ Stuck between a farm pro and a JD? #10  
A friend has an older JD 750, I don't know how the 755 compares but I would say the Jinma is the same as the 750. They don't turn like a lawn mower for sure but without 4WD, I would think it would turn fairly short.