Stuck gears and no reverse. Please help.

/ Stuck gears and no reverse. Please help. #1  

Hernando Point Farm

Tractor
Mahindra 2816
Hi. I’m a hobby farmer and new to mechanic inclinations. I replaced the leaking seal cap on the back of the shifter cover last week. It’s a simple round plastic piece. I got that all done. No leaks. I put my tractor back together and now can only use two gears. No reverse. When I put in reverse or first gear (both on same side of shifter) the tractor will stall. I took it back apart to make sure the handle was aligned properly and still the same thing. I’m really frustrated. Any help is greatly appreciated. I can afford to miss garden planting for our family. Thanks.

/ Stuck gears and no reverse. Please help. #2  
It sounds as though you may have moved one of the gears out of position while you had it apart. Remove the cover one more time and see exactly what is engaged. It is possible to have two gears engaged simultaneously. Make sure all gears are in the neutral position as is the shifter when you reinstall the cover.

/ Stuck gears and no reverse. Please help. #3  
Can you clarify whether you have a manual or HST?

/ Stuck gears and no reverse. Please help.
It sounds as though you may have moved one of the gears out of position while you had it apart. Remove the cover one more time and see exactly what is engaged. It is possible to have two gears engaged simultaneously. Make sure all gears are in the neutral position as is the shifter when you reinstall the cover.
Sounds plausible but not what I wanted to hear of course. How do you know the gears are in neutral? Thanks

/ Stuck gears and no reverse. Please help. #6  
Have you checked the fluid level?
Could you post a picture of what you worked on, trying to understand what seal was replaced and being an HST how you could affected the gearing position in the transmission.
Do you have the parking brake engaged?

Last edited:
Have you checked the fluid level?
Could you post a picture of what you worked on, trying to understand what seal was replaced and being an HST how you could affected the gearing position in the transmission.
Do you have the parking brake engaged?
Fluid is good. Filled it up when I put all back together. Attached is a picture with the replaced seal cap circled in red. I didn’t move anything that I know of, but I’m not sure if anything moved without my help. Thanks so much.

Attachments

• F87C2B41-4535-422B-899A-77404DCA1D36.jpeg
    F87C2B41-4535-422B-899A-77404DCA1D36.jpeg
    551.3 KB · Views: 106
   / Stuck gears and no reverse. Please help. #8  
I don't believe your tractor is HST because what you are describing doesn't match up with the description in this link. Mahindra 2816 compact utility tractor: review and specs - Tractor Specs The Mahindra 2816 is a 4WD compact utility tractor from the 16 series. This tractor was manufactured by Mitsubishi for Mahindra from 2008 to 2010. The Mahindra 2816 is equipped with a 1.3 L (80.4 cu·in) three-cylinder diesel engine and one of two transmissions: a hydrostatic transmission with infinite (3-range) forward and reverse gears or a gear type transmission with 9 forward and 3 reverse gears.

The HST is described here: Mahindra 2816 HST Operator's Manual (Page 62 of 142) | ManualsLib

I don't believe your tractor is HST because what you are describing doesn't match up with the description in this link. Mahindra 2816 compact utility tractor: review and specs - Tractor Specs The Mahindra 2816 is a 4WD compact utility tractor from the 16 series. This tractor was manufactured by Mitsubishi for Mahindra from 2008 to 2010. The Mahindra 2816 is equipped with a 1.3 L (80.4 cu·in) three-cylinder diesel engine and one of two transmissions: a hydrostatic transmission with infinite (3-range) forward and reverse gears or a gear type transmission with 9 forward and 3 reverse gears.

The HST is described here: Mahindra 2816 HST Operator's Manual (Page 62 of 142) | ManualsLib
I see. So I don’t even know the difference. I assumed because all the same fluid for hydros and transmission it is HST. So you are correct. Ours is manual. Not HST.

/ Stuck gears and no reverse. Please help. #10  
I don"t know this gearbox, but want to try to help. Hopefully someone who knows more about this tractor will post.

Maybe the tractor was in gear when you took the stick and housing out, or you put it in gear while removing the stick and housing.

If you shifter has a H pattern and only has half of the left to right movement, than try this;
shift to neutral, take the shifter out,
put it back with the stick leaning to the other side and try if it feels normal again.

(if the stick is now leaning left, put it back in leaning to the right for example)

Last edited: