Stuck in the pond

/ Stuck in the pond #61  
Doesn’t the tractor run duels
No
as well as much taller front tires and a lot better weight distribution?
Taller front tires, yes, but you said a backhoe weighs more. Why we changing subject to tire height?
The backhoe definitely has lousy traction in mud but putting R1s on it wouldn’t make a revolutionary difference. It’s still going to get stuck all the time.
It would make a difference. if it didn’t, they wouldn’t be offering R-1’s now would they?

/ Stuck in the pond #62  
No

Taller front tires, yes, but you said a backhoe weighs more. Why we changing subject to tire height?

It would make a difference. if it didn’t, they wouldn’t be offering R-1’s now would they?

I didn’t say it wouldn’t make a difference. I said revolutionary differences. The backhoe will never complete with the tractor in mud. It’s at numerous disadvantages.

/ Stuck in the pond #63  
Well, it finally happened. I've only got about 100 hours on my yanmar YT 359 tractor. Just long enough to feel comfortable and try and do something I probably shouldn't have.
I was adding a run for my meat pigs to have access to the pond for water. I got a little too aggressive on how far I could drive out and scrape backwards with the bucket. My pond has a lot of that super sticky, gross, squishy, black muck, and I sure enough got stuck.
I tried all of the tricks with pushing the bucket down and lifting the front and going backwards and everything I could possibly do. I had it in four-wheel drive and the diff lock engaged, everything to no avail.
I ended up getting my farm truck out with a long chain to help move the tractor backwards. The wife was kind enough to steer the truck while I worked the tractor backwards.
Moral of the story, don't bite off more than you can chew, or dig!!
Truthfully we have all been there, the man that hasn't made a mistake hasn't done anything!

/ Stuck in the pond #64  
It happens. I got my tractor stuck in a similar, but not quite as bad situation while I was working on my new home build during a 100 year rain/flood event. A contractor with a large track steer was on the property and pulled me out.

After a heavy rain event, I also dropped the entire left side to the frame of my lightly loaded, 4wd, ext. cab, diesel RAM 2500 in a filled in trench previously dug by the power company. When I opened the driver's door to check out the situation, gravity pulled me out of the seat and into the muck with one hand still holding onto the steering wheel- ha, ha. There were no anchor points around for the 12k# winch to be of use and I was alone with no equipment help in the vicinity. I was quite surprised I was able to toss some large rocks in front of the tires on the left side and they sunk into the muck and the locked drivetrain walked me out like I was driving on dry concrete.

I have also used the 10k# winch on my Jeep GC to pull out a friend's Ford tractor stuck in muck on his farm at the bottom of a long hill after a large rain event.

Good times ;-)

/ Stuck in the pond #66  
Before I put some sub-surface drainage in, I had to have my wife drag me and my B-2301 out of a spot we used to call the "rice paddy." Embarassing, but no damage done.

/ Stuck in the pond #67  
Water mud or clay never plays well together through in a little peat and good luck

Attachments

• 23F35523-5586-45DD-8EDB-F17422E5122A.jpeg
    23F35523-5586-45DD-8EDB-F17422E5122A.jpeg
    65.4 KB · Views: 68
   / Stuck in the pond #68  
In my experience tractor-ing (limited 🤷🏻‍♂️) when I start getting stuck I find it best to stop spinning tires and get pulled out sooner than later… at the very least likely less damage. I also got some big ol’ chains for the rear tires of my JD 950 as I use my machine mostly in the dirt, woods roads and snow

Attachments

• 68255790240__09885002-6C69-4386-8784-1AC13EE2FADD.jpeg
    68255790240__09885002-6C69-4386-8784-1AC13EE2FADD.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 74
   / Stuck in the pond #69  
One thing I have seen mentioned over & over again is (paraphrasing) “once the tires are packed up with mud, it doesn’t make a difference”.

That’s true, but an R-1 tread is less likely to get stuck in those critical first few wheel spins than an R-4 tire is.

It’s not about what the tire looks like once you are stuck, its what tire you have to help prevent you from getting stuck in the first place.

Last edited:
   / Stuck in the pond #70  
Well, it finally happened. I've only got about 100 hours on my yanmar YT 359 tractor. Just long enough to feel comfortable and try and do something I probably shouldn't have.
I was adding a run for my meat pigs to have access to the pond for water. I got a little too aggressive on how far I could drive out and scrape backwards with the bucket. My pond has a lot of that super sticky, gross, squishy, black muck, and I sure enough got stuck.
I tried all of the tricks with pushing the bucket down and lifting the front and going backwards and everything I could possibly do. I had it in four-wheel drive and the diff lock engaged, everything to no avail.
I ended up getting my farm truck out with a long chain to help move the tractor backwards. The wife was kind enough to steer the truck while I worked the tractor backwards.
Moral of the story, don't bite off more than you can chew, or dig!!
It's not yours until you find its limitations.
A man has to know his limitations as well as his equipments.
IMG_8399.png
IMG_8389.jpeg