Stuck in the pond

/ Stuck in the pond #81  
Snatch blocks?
a snatch block allows you to multiply the pulling power of a winch, , just tie a pulley to two or more trees run the cable from the winch thru one pulley then the other and then to an anchor point. this assumes the winch is on the tractor, this way a 5000lb winch can generate 10-15k lbs of pull.

/ Stuck in the pond #82  
a snatch block allows you to multiply the pulling power of a winch, , just tie a pulley to two or more trees run the cable from the winch thru one pulley then the other and then to an anchor point. this assumes the winch is on the tractor, this way a 5000lb winch can generate 10-15k lbs of pull.

Yes. I once buried my tractor down in a bottomless (mud) ravine. I had a logging skidding winch attached in the 3 point hitch knowing it would handy if I got stuck. And I got stuck!

There were no trees, just a hedgerow of bushes, so I parked my truck on the top of the bank on the other side of them as an anchor and ran the winch cable to it. I had my daughter pull the winch rope (to engage winch) as I drove the tractor and worked the FEL to pry out.

A winch with a snatch block works great! It really doubles the pulling force! It was pulling my truck right through the bushes!

/ Stuck in the pond #83  
Yes it is surprisingly easy to get a 4WD stuck in the mud. Those treads fill right up with muck.

/ Stuck in the pond #84  
Got stuck years ago on a A-C WD45 using a 3 bottom plow. Unluckily found a spot with an underground spring bubbling up. Plow kept rear wheels from contacting solid ground. Plow buried so deep, couldn’t disconnect. Tried another tractor, couldn’t budge it. Took an Oliver bulldozer to pull all of it out. Lost three days accomplishing that feat.

/ Stuck in the pond #85  
He was referring to me with his comment. When you are stuck so badly that you need to lift the rear tires out of the hole, it's too late.

/ Stuck in the pond #86  
Getting stuck is always lurking... Had been years since I'd been stuck. And then, this year, early...

20230427_103515.jpg

Why it's nice to have another tractor. My Kubota being an HST allowed me to jamb a stick under the travel pedal (in reverse) so I could operate the Kioti. Kubota's bucket w/bucket tooth pushed down and hard. DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME! Don't think a bucket on the Kioti would have done me any good.

Worst was getting an excavator stuck (and noting that the bucket pin launched itself into a muddy abyss)!

Stuck happens :LOL:

/ Stuck in the pond #87  
Many may laugh at me, but I actually have turf tires on my tractor.

Why - because the vast majority of my work is mowing, mulching, brushing, hard scape and other chores for yards and gardens and general landscape. They work fine and do no damage to the grass or ground. The zero turn does more damage!

I really have little on my acreage where I could get stuck. I don’t take the tractor into the woods or down by the river. Really no reason.

I’ve gotten my 4 wheeler stuck a time or two in mud but that is what the winch is for.

Then again - I don’t use the tractor for large scale farming like many on this forum.
I have R4's for the same reasons - less damage to the grass. I mostly do brush hogging, loader work with rock and gravel, box blade on rocky driveways, and very little work in loose dirt. I do have places I could get stuck (and had some close calls), but for the most part I wanted the extra thick ruggedness of the R4 tires so the brush stobs and rocks would be less likely to wreak havoc. I'm happy with that decision so far.

/ Stuck in the pond #89  
I see your trouble! Wearing shorts when operating your tractor, you should be ashamed, LOL! Glad you were able to get'er out without any damage.

/ Stuck in the pond #90  
My dad stuck his pick up in a place where there was a little subterranean weep about halfway up the ridge in a pasture...he just didn't carry enough speed and spun the tires. He went and got mom and the 3910 and next thing you know the 3910 is buried to the rear end. Both of them walked back to the house and called the guy across town who had a surplus tank recovery vehicle, an hour and a half later it shows up and pulls the 3910, and the truck, still on the chain out. Really pretty reasonable, a couple hundred bucks. Had I been there it would have turned into a full days job, with shovel, timber and board in the heavy MS clay with no guarantee of success. BTW I paid the price for that for years to come...the ruts would "rupture your kidneys", if you forgot, while bush hogging, even though dad sort of filled them in.