Student Loan Debt?

/ Student Loan Debt? #621  
Yes and no. Engineers (not all, I understand that), are generally at this point, more of a project manager over a team of engineering techs, utility coordinators, environmental consultants, dealing with clients/stakeholders, reviewing stuff, and in the end signing and sealing stuff. Not that much of the actually day to day design work. So, sure some of the techs will be replaced by AI, but I personally don't think the PE himself will be replaced.

I also don't know how anyone feels about AI making judgement calls. Maybe it's further along then we know?

Also, a PE is a PE. It doesn't matter if he majored in Civil, Electric, Petro chemical, whatever; and that Stamp is of a lot of value. Even if he's just SnS (sign and seal) truss plans on prefab sheds,

/ Student Loan Debt? #622  
Ai isnt new. The marketing BS is.

It's the new hotness for short sellers and day traders.

/ Student Loan Debt? #623  
Ai isnt new. The marketing BS is.

It's the new hotness for short sellers and day traders.

I agree. It is all computer programs that were written by people. Those programs have had increasing levels of sophistication for quite a while.

Twenty years ago, I noticed that search engines returned better results if I just asked a question like I was talking to a person vs. searching for key words. I thought it did an amazing job at almost instantly searching the entire internet, and the first returned item was often exactly what I wanted.

I don't think that the more recent advancements deserve a new name. It's mostly new hype, IMHO.

Last edited:
   / Student Loan Debt?
The search depth is gone... also the easy access to older pages.

Many search results previously generated now seem like a condensed version.

I remember doing a surname search and several hundred hits was the norm... now maybe 20-30???

/ Student Loan Debt? #625  
the company I work for uses AI for video and photo morphing and post production.
The amount of change and integration they can do with AI in the last few years has changed the whole industry.
Some of it is quite scary though, it takes a lot of time/input to train the systems.
But they have had years to use our inputs to train it and that is making a huge difference.

/ Student Loan Debt? #626  
Don't know what else is out there, but for non college bound people; Florida Department of Transportation has extensive 'Self Study' courses online, for things like Construction Plans Reading, Construction Math, and more. They also have all or nearly all of the Cerifications courses free online; however, that's just the coarse and test, and if you want the real cert, you can 'Contest' the class, for $100. vs like $900-1500 per cert to do in-person class. Regardless, taking it online, and showing the paper E cert, shows an employer that you put in effort, and them sending you to class isn't a waste of money.

I'm sure there is other stuff like that, in many states, trades, ect; But too the best of my limited knowledge, there isn't a good central location or source to find that stuff.

/ Student Loan Debt?
   / Student Loan Debt? #629  
I never want to wish away time or see my kids get older too fast, but there’s times when I am truly grateful college is nearly over.