Student Loan Debt?

/ Student Loan Debt? #671  
I went to college at Mizzou. It was less expensive than where I went to high school.

If I recall correctly, it was something like $150-250 a credit hour. In that range. Plus books.

That was 40 years ago.

But, then again, I still remember as a kid biking to little league practice and afterward eating a hamburger, fries and a cherry coke at the drug store for a dollar and change!
And getting Lifesavers for 5 cents a roll.

/ Student Loan Debt? #674  
Anyone think the Ultra high price private colleges that offer Huge scholarship dollars, but well less than tuition is kinda a scam? I know my little brother had like $60k scholarship offer from Duke, but that was only like 40%. Son got an offer of $112k of scholarship from Stetson, but at $72k/year, that kinda seems like a joke. Kinda seems like a store marking prices up 500%, and then slapping a sale price of 250% the original price on it...

/ Student Loan Debt? #675  
If your college degree is not worth enough for you to pay it off, it's not worth it to your neighbor to pay it off.
Useless degrees.jpg

/ Student Loan Debt? #676  
Anyone think the Ultra high price private colleges that offer Huge scholarship dollars, but well less than tuition is kinda a scam? I know my little brother had like $60k scholarship offer from Duke, but that was only like 40%. Son got an offer of $112k of scholarship from Stetson, but at $72k/year, that kinda seems like a joke. Kinda seems like a store marking prices up 500%, and then slapping a sale price of 250% the original price on it...

Sort of like hospital bills. Huge retail price knocked down 80% by insurance —- yet still expensive!

/ Student Loan Debt? #677  

Agreed, just had similar experience with a private college that wants my son to play football. They said the right things and offered 40k of first year scholarship, but the total cost is 65k per year. It seems like artificially high numbers to me. It’s hard to fathom anyone willing to pay $275,000 for a bachelor degree.

/ Student Loan Debt? #678  
People spend money on degrees that they spend a lifetime paying for. A degree used to mean you were special. No longer, because anyone can have that paper...

/ Student Loan Debt?
Dad had a friend that was a customs inspector and I asked how do you become a customs inspector and dads friend said a 4 year degree in any subject…

I thought it odd when he said any subject but remember it well… his was English Literature.

/ Student Loan Debt? #680  
Dad had a friend that was a customs inspector and I asked how do you become a customs inspector and dads friend said a 4 year degree in any subject…

I thought it odd when he said any subject but remember it well… his was English Literature.

Airline pilots were like this for a while. I snuck in without one... But they didn't care what degree, just that you had one. I spent about $15k for training to earn $300k. Kids nowadays spend $100k-$200k for it and a degree in gender studies.