Stump Grinders?

/ Stump Grinders? #11  
I just wanted to comment on the PTO grinder. I believe there is a big difference in the models suggested for smaller hp tractors, vs. larger hp tractors (and rightfully so.)

I have a Shaver SC50 which is rated from 35-100hp at the PTO. Although I am at the absolute minimum I would want to use (40PTO), the grinder works amazingly well. The larger version that I have, is actually a commercial grinder (as you found out when you priced them) whereas the smaller version, the SC25 is not advertised as a commercial model.

The large advantage of this stumpgrinder is the shear weight of the wheel itself. The total weight of the unit is 1200lbs, and most all that weight is comprised of the 34" diameter wheel, 3/4" thick. With all that weight, I have never once experienced the "hop" that some with the smaller units experience. Now I'm not sure if it has to do with my low power supply to the unit, but I think it's more just simple physics.

I'm very happy with my stumpgrinder, and I think it works admirably well for what it is. It's not going to be as good as a higher powered standalone grinder, but it certainly is meant to be used in a commercial aspect. Regarding how long it takes to grind a stump, that of course is all relative, but for the most part, if I was making $50 per stump and had jobs with hundreds of stumps (both big and small) I would be making a killing if I figured my hourly wages.

Eric,
I wasn't planning on using my stumpgrinder commercially when I bought it, but word got out, and I found myself doing more and more jobs for other people. I now have a business that has sort of created itself, and stumpgrinder and chipping have turned out to be the most popular service that I'm offering. Everyone and their brother that owns a tractor has a rotary cutter and front end loader, there are only a small amount of people with giant stumpgrinders that push over $6k dollars when all is said and done.
A dedicated stumpgrinder will grind more stumps quicker and more efficiently, but it will not move the tree you just cut down, chip all the branches on that tree, clean up the area, and grade it off. I've found a nice little niche market using this grinder as an addition to my other services.

I have certainly made every penny back, even assuming I paid full price on the new unit (I bought mine used.)
Your tractor would run this unit a lot better than mine with 48pto hp, but you will still be on the lower end of the power requirement. I would definitely recommend it over the SC25.