Stump Jumper being stubborn!

/ Stump Jumper being stubborn! #1  

gwstang

Platinum Member
Tractor
1952 Ford 8N / Kubota L2501
Well, I hoisted the used 5' bush hog that I got a couple of months ago. Everything ran well but I noticed the thing started vibrating a lot. Out of balance. I stopped and looked and two of the four bolts that hold the gear box had got lost. I put it up and planned to fix when I had time. Well, I need it now as it finally quit raining and the fields are getting very high. I hoisted it up where I could get to it. Searched through all the 1/2" and 3/4" sockets to find one to fit the stump jumper nut. Not a one would fit, some too big and some too little but none just right. :mad: So, get out the pipe wrench and start unwinding and unwinding for 20-30 minutes and get it off. Drenched in sweat and really mad. I tried to pry the jumper off and no go. I whacked it from the front deck through the access hole and no go. Really mad now! :mad: Strong language ensued. Hoped that might help...not. :D Decided Jesus wasn't pleased with my language, so cut that out. Finally decided to do what someone had mentioned on here about enlarging the access hole for the blade nuts. Got out the grinder and cut off blade and made the hole twice as large and could then finagle the bolts in place. Decided that there wasn't enough room to reach between the jumper and the deck to get the nuts/washers on from underneath. I used a magnet and some more language to finally get both in place with the bolt head underneath and the nuts/lock washers on top of the deck. Slapped some red locktite on there and hit it with the impact wrench and called it a day. I'm going to harbor freight in the morning to get a set of 3/4" sockets so I will have the correct one for the large jumper nut. Dang all that pipe wrench and breaker bar stuff. I'm just too old and lazy for that stuff...lol :laughing: I'm disappointed that I could not get the jumper off because I was going to replace the seal and put the correct gear oil in placed of the grease in there now. Oh well, do the best I can for now and maybe work on this winter. If someone has a neat way to get the stump jumper to come loose, I would love to hear it? Lots of good ideas/stuff on this forum. Definitely have saved my behind a lot of work with the right information. :thumbsup: