Stupid Is As Stupid Does

/ Stupid Is As Stupid Does #1  

Industrial Toys

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota R510 Wheel Loader + Cab and backhoe, JD 6200 Open Station, Cushman 6150, 4x4, ten foot 56 hp Kubota diesel hydraulic wing mower, Steiner 430 Diesel Max, Kawasaki Diesel Mule, JD 4x2 Electric Gator
Mamma Always said.

So, in the middle of another job, I "just" wanted to move my dump trailer, wash it and put it away.

I used the loader fork hitch, and put a little down pressure on it because I wanted to straighten out the somewhat wonky electric jack. But the ball came out and got stuck in behind the proper place.

I knew something had happened "AND SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN OUT TO LOOK" but proceeded to move the thing with some sharp turns.

DSC00241.JPG I think they might call that a twisted testical. I never would have imagined bending that plate. That is a 2-5/16 ball and maybe 3/4" plate!

DSC00242.JPG I don't know if you can see the boil on the right side of the picture as looking at it. I already used a sledge to hammer the thing halfway back. But I think the hitch is ruined. It must have created leverage between the ball and square hitch bar, with massive mechanical advantage.

DSC00243.JPG

If you think something isn't right. S T O P ! And investigate!

Last edited:
   / Stupid Is As Stupid Does #2  
Tractors sure are good at tearing stuff up sometimes...

/ Stupid Is As Stupid Does #3  
The perfect opportunity for your to replace that with a hammer blow coupling. I realize they can also be messed up but its less likely and a safer coupling to be using also. Same for replacing that jack with a heavier duty one.

It is amazing what can happen moving something around. A little leverage goes a long way. Ouch.

/ Stupid Is As Stupid Does
I actually would like to extend the tongue on that trailer. It is a terrible trailer to back up and I can't move it around empty with my mule because the jack is in the way. It's just not anything I wanted to spend time and energy on at this time.

I am concerned how easily the hitch popped off the ball. A friend says they are adjustable underneith to fit "your" ball. Is that true as for the adjustment? The "your" ball thing makes no sense. Is my 2-5/16" ball a different size from your 2-5/16" ball?

I still remember one trailer we had for years with a CAST hitch and adjustable bolt and butterfly locking nut. I would love to have those again. Not this stamped out garbage.

/ Stupid Is As Stupid Does #5  
Tractors sure are good at tearing stuff up sometimes...

There was a great post on here somewhere..... hopefully it's still up......

Guy starts of with what looks like a rant "Lied to by Salesman about the cost of buying a Tractor" or something close to that.....

...... then proceeds to list all the vehicle mirrors, quarter panels, gates/posts/hardware, siding, lawn furniture, ornamental trees etc that he's demoed with his tractor.

Some days you win, some you don't......

Rgds, D.

Yeah. A friend learned a long time ago, this isn't a good place to park your corvette for extended periods.

/ Stupid Is As Stupid Does #7  
I actually would like to extend the tongue on that trailer. It is a terrible trailer to back up and I can't move it around empty with my mule because the jack is in the way. It's just not anything I wanted to spend time and energy on at this time.

I am concerned how easily the hitch popped off the ball. A friend says they are adjustable underneith to fit "your" ball. Is that true as for the adjustment? The "your" ball thing makes no sense. Is my 2-5/16" ball a different size from your 2-5/16" ball?

I still remember one trailer we had for years with a CAST hitch and adjustable bolt and butterfly locking nut. I would love to have those again. Not this stamped out garbage.

I had that happen once when the coupler latch rolled up and didn't lock onto the ball. I check that every time now--That was 20 years ago. Fortunately not on the highway.

/ Stupid Is As Stupid Does #8  
Look up “bull dog hammer blow” hitches. Extremely well made and not likely to have issues with them. They come in a wide variety of styles. For a frame tongue, round or square tube, bolt one and many others.

Jacks are made that attaché to the side of the tongue. Crank them up a few turns and you can pull a pin and rotate them up and out of the way or just remove them from the hitch. They do wiggle a tiny bit but have never had one fail. Multiple trailors, heavy loads, several decades of use.

You may already know all about these, perhaps they might be of use to others.

BULLDOG - Tubular Swivel Trailer Jack - 5, lbs

BULLDOG!

Thanks. That first ref, I cut and pasted and it just came up with electric jacks.

A friend asked if maybe I want to just go pintle. Would make hooking up to a tractor easier.

I gotta say though, that with already having a battery for the dump, an electric jack is very nice. BUT, subject to damage. I bent it this time, by trying to grab a bucket load of washed stone, with the trailer not connected to anything, just wheel chokes.

/ Stupid Is As Stupid Does #10  
I have tried to past the right darn links in there. Seem to having issues. Brand I prefer is “bulldog. “

You can surf their sight. Lots of different grades and weights and costs etc.

If you will check you also see that bulldog has spare parts for almost anything that can be torn up :)

They do make electric and hydraulic jacks also. My dump has hydraulic jacks and I have to admit, worth every penny. I often swap Trailors daily and will hook onto and off the same trailor several times a day.