Mowing Stupid Question....

/ Stupid Question.... #1  

gunny0628

Gold Member
Tractor
2019 Rural King 55HC
My finish mower is recommended for 540rpm, does this mean I have to run it at 540rpm or can I run it lower?

/ Stupid Question....
My finish mower is recommended for 540rpm, does this mean I have to run it at 540rpm or can I run it lower?

Nevermind. I found the answer in the manual that says it should be run at 540 rpm to achieve maximum blade tip speed.

/ Stupid Question.... #3  
Actually, you could run it slower if you are getting a clean cut. Much depends on the type of grass you are cutting and most importantly, a sharp blade. A sharp blade will cut smoothly at low speed whereas a dull blade needs top speed to perform. This is the same with a lawnmower, if it cuts smooth and clean at 3/4 throttle, why run it full throttle unless you just want more ground speed.

/ Stupid Question.... #4  
Gunny, there are no stupid questions. My thoughts are that the green area on the tach showing where the engine speed should be for PTO operation has really been a thought out process that companies have spent millions of dollars studying over the years to come up with the ultimate speed for both effeniency of the mower and lowest stress on the tractor when the going gets tough. It's like a sports car designer putting in the manual to run the tires at 32psi for best performance but some folks run it at 40 for better mpg but they lose traction due to thje tire being rounded at the tread instead of being flat and making the maximum contact with the pavement.

/ Stupid Question....
Thanks guys. Any idea how often I should sharpen the blades, other than when the cut looks bad.

/ Stupid Question.... #6  
How often to sharpen blades could end up with 20 pages of opinions. It depends a lot on your mowing conditions. Most important is when you sharpen, don't try to get a razor edge. It will just quickly dull and wear away. "Butter knife sharp" is usually recommended. I mow 3 or 4 acres and usually only sharpen twice a year. I focus mainly on repairing visible dings on the cutting edge. On the other hand, I've seen mowers used on very sandy land that have to replace the blades every year because they erode away.

/ Stupid Question.... #7  
On the other hand, I've seen mowers used on very sandy land that have to replace the blades every year because they erode away.
If your blades are thick enough you can add hardfacing to the leading edge and end of the blade, it extends the blade life significantly. However, you do have to re-balance and reshape the edge after the welding addition.