Stupid Things I Have Done

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #71  
I loaded my tractor on my dump trailer (with grapple) & loaded up my 3 chainsaws, extra chains, fuel, oil, etc in my truck the night before to help a friend with multiple tree removal after a windstorm at his home. Off I went in the morning and got the “my pecker is tiny compared to yours” looks from his friends who arrived to help out with nothing more than gloves and cheap box store chainsaws. Went to fire up the tractor to get it off when I realized that I left my keys in the shop. My buddy had a fistful of keys he carried around and I tried each one with the hopes that one would miraculously start the tractor. One did!

Another time I was struggling to get a machine screw that dropped in a piece of equipment years ago at work and I was literally frustrated, trying everything to get it out. A coworker walked up just before lunch (we often go to lunch together) and nonchalantly asked what’s the problem. I told him about the dropped screw that I’ve been trying to get it out for the past half hour and if HE could get it out, I’d buy him lunch!

He paused, looked at it, turned it upside down and the screw tumbled out of the electronic equipment that weighed 15 pounds.

He ordered steak from the Outback.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done
I loaded my tractor on my dump trailer (with grapple) & loaded up my 3 chainsaws, extra chains, fuel, oil, etc in my truck the night before to help a friend with multiple tree removal after a windstorm at his home. Off I went in the morning and got the “my pecker is tiny compared to yours” looks from his friends who arrived to help out with nothing more than gloves and cheap box store chainsaws. Went to fire up the tractor to get it off when I realized that I left my keys in the shop. My buddy had a fistful of keys he carried around and I tried each one with the hopes that one would miraculously start the tractor. One did!

Another time I was struggling to get a machine screw that dropped in a piece of equipment years ago at work and I was literally frustrated, trying everything to get it out. A coworker walked up just before lunch (we often go to lunch together) and nonchalantly asked what’s the problem. I told him about the dropped screw that I’ve been trying to get it out for the past half hour and if HE could get it out, I’d buy him lunch!

He paused, looked at it, turned it upside down and the screw tumbled out of the electronic equipment that weighed 15 pounds.

He ordered steak from the Outback.

That’s funny.

I’ve been there. You get so frustrated by the problem you caused that you aren’t thinking clearly.

Then someone (usually my wife) shows up totally unemotional and has the solution that was right in front of you all the time.

It’s embarrassing but at least I have to buy her lunch anyways.

MoKelly

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #74  
No phone?

MoKelly
I leave the phone on the desk when I go out on purpose. You can't believe the freedom it gives, until you experience it. Give it a try!

I assure you. NOTHING will be different except your sense of self responsibility.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #75  
I leave the phone on the desk when I go out on purpose. You can't believe the freedom it gives, until you experience it. Give it a try!

I assure you. NOTHING will be different except your sense of self responsibility.
I carry my phone mostly to take pictures. Lately its wildlife innards. Yesterday my cute little Plott hound girly dog brought back the nastiest thing i've seen in a while. Worse than the deer bowel.

She brings it right to me and sits, so proud. Can't blame her, it's in her blood.

I think it was the-remains of a-goose but, no clue.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #76  
I carry my phone mostly to take pictures. Lately its wildlife innards. Yesterday my cute little Plott hound girly dog brought back the nastiest thing i've seen in a while. Worse than the deer bowel.

She brings it right to me and sits, so proud. Can't blame her, it's in her blood.

I think it was the-remains of a-goose but, no clue.
Unreal and hard to believe. As i was writing the above about my new pup I look outside and, she's got something hanging out of her mouth!

She just killed squirrel! She is a bonnified killer!

I've learned to dispose of the victim or it might end up on my bed.

For a 40lb sweet little dog she is a hunting machine! I can see how she survived in the wild, although just barely.

So - this is an interesting question.

At the farm we are pretty isolated and I need to go places you cannot see or hear from the house. Mowing, bush hogging, cutting up limbs, all the usual stuff. Often, I’m at the farm by myself.

My wife and kids INSIST I take the phone. What if I get hurt? Just a bunch of what if’s? It could be critical to be able to call for help.

Also, my wife says, what if she or one of the kids gets hurt? Don’t I want to know ASAP v. 5-8 hours later when I get back to the house or barn? How would I feel if after 5 hours of working around at the farm I get back and my son has a message she was in a car accident?

I’d prefer NOT to have the phone simply because I’ve “lost” it several times. It’s a pain to go looking for the thing.

But, I see their points. So, I take the phone. It can be made so it only rings for their calls. Other calls don’t make a peep. Only issue is not to lose it!

MoKelly

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #78  
This happens so often-- you totally focus on a problem at hand, not realizing there is a much simpler solution if you could just see it.

I have a GMC duramax truck. I tried to change the front left blinker bulb but couldn't get access to it. Checked youtube-- first video explains you need to remove the grill to replace the bulb. wth? Next video- this guy has a shortcut. Jack the truck, remove the front left wheel, then x, then y, then z. wth?

So I lived with it not working until next time I needed service from my trusted mechanic. He said: "we have 1 guy here who can replace those." Some skinny kid appeared, and was able to contort his hand and arm through the grill and replace the bulb. But no one else can do it.

I can still hardly believe a truck is designed whereby you have to remove the grill to change a light bulb.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #79  
Friend of mine had a Corvette, a 1984 I believe; he said he had to remove a fender to put in a new battery...took him half a day.

Friend of mine had a Corvette, a 1984 I believe; he said he had to remove a fender to put in a new battery...took him half a day.

I had a 1982 corvette. Battery was just like any other car.

Maybe they changed in in 1984.

MoKelly