Stupid Things I Have Done

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #331  
I'm not sure why something from 45 years ago came to mind while I was out mowing my mother's lawn today. One of my dorm mates way back then had a bottle of 191 grain alcohol. I think that he really did keep it around for medicinal purposes... and likely to see who was dumb enough to try it.
That'd be me. 😑 I poured a shot, tipped it back and felt it suck the moisture right out of me. I don't think that it ever hit my stomach, it was just absorbed with all of the moisture in my mouth and throat. I learned my lesson that day, and never tried it again.
That stuff was great to unfreeze myself after riding a motorcycle home in 20F or lower temps. Jumps starts your internal heater.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #332  
It wasn't me but it is funny. It was my tiny blond haired niece who was/is tougher than most men. She grew up fighting with and competing with older boy cousins and her brother. Her dad told the story because she was so pi$$ed that she wouldn't. He heard it from friends at church. She is 40+ now with three kids.

She and another teenage girl went out on Kentucky Lake on a Waverunner. Niece backed the pickup down the ramp (had been backing cattle trailers etc. years before her license) and they unloaded the Waverunner. Backed into a parking spot and unhooked from the trailer, then parked the truck. Spent the day running around the lake. When they got back to the ramp to load up a couple of the older men also loading up asked the 'little girls' if they needed any help. They said no. So the niece backed up to the trailer, friend hooked it up. Niece backed down the ramp first try and the friend drove the Waverunner onboard. Hooked up chains holding it on. Both hopped in the truck and took off up the ramp making faces at the 'older men'. About halfway up the ramp the trailer jumped off the ball and hit the ground. They couldn't fold the jack down to raise the hitch and had attracted an audience of 'older men' watching them hooting and hollering. Finally had to ask for help. Two bikini clad teenaged girls asking a bunch of thirty-fifty year old men for help got a large response with a lot of laughter. Her parents didn't hear about this until a couple of 'older men' at church asked her about it. Still makes her mad to mention it years later.

RSKY

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #333  
An update, luckily my back pain was just agonizing for 6 days, it was just dull yesterday so I decided to stack like 1.5 cord of oak firewood then mow for like 4 or so hours... Don't think I even managed to do anything dumb yesterday other than work through pain... well I did bend over a young cherry tree with the corner of the brush hog (forgot it overhangs the tractor an inch on one side and not the other), it's a ~3 year old volunteer so no big deal if it doesn't make it...
Bending over is what kills me. I can do anything, chop wood, post hole digger, as long as I'm not kneeling and bending and I'm fine; bend over for ten minutes and I'm feeling it.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #334  
I'm not sure why something from 45 years ago came to mind while I was out mowing my mother's lawn today. One of my dorm mates way back then had a bottle of 191 grain alcohol. I think that he really did keep it around for medicinal purposes... and likely to see who was dumb enough to try it.
That'd be me. 😑 I poured a shot, tipped it back and felt it suck the moisture right out of me. I don't think that it ever hit my stomach, it was just absorbed with all of the moisture in my mouth and throat. I learned my lesson that day, and never tried it again.
45 yo recipe remembered: Hunch Punch

1 pint grain alcohol
2 large cans of red Hawaiian Punch
2 cans 7-Up
Add fruit if you want to get fancy

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #335  

1 pint grain alcohol
2 cans 7-Up
sounds horrible
maybe a bit of tang for some more bite
thanks i'll have a cup

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #336  

1 pint grain alcohol
2 cans 7-Up
Now I know what I did wrong; left out the last 2 ingredients, plus the fruit.

On another occasion we bought a watermelon and planned to spike it with vodka. We all had heard about it but nobody really had done it. So we drank the vodka and left the watermelon for later.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #337  
Now I know what I did wrong; left out the last 2 ingredients, plus the fruit.

On another occasion we bought a watermelon and planned to spike it with vodka. We all had heard about it but nobody really had done it. So we drank the vodka and left the watermelon for later.
I spiked a watermelon with bacardi one year for a family reunion.....

That's how I found out that one set of cousins didn't really like another set of cousins 🫣🫣🫣🫣

That was also the last time I was allowed to spike anything

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #338  
Bending over is what kills me. I can do anything, chop wood, post hole digger, as long as I'm not kneeling and bending and I'm fine; bend over for ten minutes and I'm feeling it.
Ouch

Hitting close to home! I've been working up fuel wood for the next year or so. Tweaked my back a couple days ago. Last night I could hardly sleep .

Utill about 3:30 am. Then I fell off..

Woke up feeling fine, not a twinge.
I split and stacked a four by four by eight volume today. Then went for a bicycle ride to loosen up.

Hoping tomorrow won't be the big lock up! ;-)

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #339  
At least now you have easy access to drop that oak.... ;)
Made a very nice table for my wife! $200 for saw mill, $600 for a planner. She now has a great table (worth probably $500).

Best,

ed

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #340  
I'm sure no one has done this before, but I was working on something big and awkward for my brother that was taking up room in my shop, finished the project on Sunday and loaded it in the back of my Ranger by myself, this thing is basically a 6' wide 3pt work platform thing that has to weigh around 200lb... I leaned it against the tailgate and tried to push it over but it was digging into the concrete and wanted to tilt so I just did what I had to do to get it in... somewhere in the middle a part of my lower back got warm... now it hurts to stand for more than say 15 minutes and sometimes my left leg has some numbing pain thing and is very distracting... so, yeah, that's the most recent dumb thing I've done... should have taken the 10 minutes and rolled the A frame over and lifted it in...
Not to steal your story, but reminded me...........

When I was 30 something blew a disk in my neck, was killing me for months, flew out of state for surgery. Week after return, had to take my old shepard to the vet, he went to jump in the back of the truck to go home and didn't quite make it...... of course I caught him before he hit the ground. Was sure I blew up the entire operation, but turned out just a little set back, man that was stupid.

Best,

ed