Stupid Things I Have Done

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #341  
Have smelled flowers knowing that I am gonna just die from my allergy but they are just sooo gooood
For years I was immune to the smell. Growing up in my parents flower shop and greenhouse, when people came in and said "It smells so GOOD in here" I had a hard time not saying "What does?" One day I leaned over to smell a carnation before picking it... just as an earwig crawled out.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #342  
So, we finally got some much needed rain, so I thought I'd quick go out and smooth the road last night. While driving out ot he garage, I heard a snap, felt a bang on the head, and then heard a crash. The $%^ emergency release cord got caught on my ROPS and released the door, sending it down on my head and having my ROPS crash through it. I am shortening that up. Luckily, only the bottom panel was damaged. Grrr

1687805320724.png

1687805487097.png

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #344  
When I was 17 I had my first motorcycle, a Yamaha DT250 Enduro. I was sitting on it in front of my employer's office talking to a bunch of coworkers. I was revving the engine, and for some reason, just let go of the clutch. It was in gear. :eek:

Shot down the street doing a wheelie with my legs hanging off the pegs, arms outstretched holding on for dear life, looking at the sky. Somehow managed to pull myself up onto the seat, bring it back down to earth, and turn just missing running into the side of a building as the street curved.

At that point, I decided I'd better just keep on going, shifted into 2nd and rode home VS going back for ridicule. 🙃

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #345  
When I was 17 I had my first motorcycle, a Yamaha DT250 Enduro. I was sitting on it in front of my employer's office talking to a bunch of coworkers. I was revving the engine, and for some reason, just let go of the clutch. It was in gear. :eek:

Shot down the street doing a wheelie with my legs hanging off the pegs, arms outstretched holding on for dear life, looking at the sky. Somehow managed to pull myself up onto the seat, bring it back down to earth, and turn just missing running into the side of a building as the street curved.

At that point, I decided I'd better just keep on going, shifted into 2nd and rode home VS going back for ridicule.
Buddy did something almost identical to what you described. Started reving the throttle and hand slipped off the clutch. Except his ordeal didn't work out as yours did.

Flew out his buddies driveway doing a wheelie, hopped the ditch across the road and ended up out in the pucker brush

Had another buddy who wasn't paying attention to where he was going and ran into a parked truck.

Buddy came too in the back of the truck under a carport in someone's driveway.

Dude didn't realize his truck had been struck or that my buddy was unconscious in the back. Buddy wandered around for a while till he found a gas station and used the payphone to call me to come get him.

Found his bike laying on the side of the road where he thought it was

Took him quite a while to live that one down. We also stressed that he might ought to stick to something with 4 wheels instead of two if he wasn't gonna pay attention to what was around him.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #346  
When I was in HS, had a 1962 Plymouth FBI car. It was very fast (only beat once by a SS 396 Chevelle 396 hp with headers and cutouts). We were leaving a roller skating rink, and some guys were drooling over a guy with a 283 Chev rapping off. My friends said show him what you've got.

So I pulled onto the highway and lit em up. Only problem is that it was October and there was dew on the pavement. We smoked the tires and promptly fishtaled into a steep ditch. It was like slow motion. I looked back at my buddies, and the color had drained from their faces. I knew I would be in bg trouble if I ended up in the swamp. So with the engne screaming and the spedo showing 70mph in 2nd gear, we slowly started creeping up. Hit the gravel shoulder and shot across the pavement into the oher steep ditch. Engne screaming it slowly came back up to the pavement.

This time, i let off the gas some, and after a few fishtails, I calmly went straight down the road like I had planned this all the time. I wish I could have heard the comments from the spectators.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #347  
When we bought our house, I was a construction super, and had some old 'cover sheets' of metal roofing, and some old 4x4s and power pole cut offs. Build a 12x16 pole barn, sloping from about 7'6" down to about 7'2" on the low side, with 100% free material. Then, years later extended, and extended off the free base building. I Really wish I would have started from scratch. The roof slope is damn flat, the head room clearance is dang low, ect. At the time, I was very limited in spare money, but when I went to expend, I would have been Much better suited with starting over. Now, it's a 16x24 shed fully enclosed, with a 12x24 roofed open set of "bays".

A few hundred dollars would have made for a much more functional shed.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #348  
So, we finally got some much needed rain, so I thought I'd quick go out and smooth the road last night. While driving out ot he garage, I heard a snap, felt a bang on the head, and then heard a crash. The $%^ emergency release cord got caught on my ROPS and released the door, sending it down on my head and having my ROPS crash through it. I am shortening that up. Luckily, only the bottom panel was damaged. Grrr

View attachment 807923

View attachment 807924
Never mind the door, you're lucky that wasn't your head!!!!

At that point, I decided I'd better just keep on going, shifted into 2nd and rode home VS going back for ridicule. 🙃
I had an old 1973 Honda DOHC CB450. It was quick for it's size and notoriously hard handling. It also had carburetor issues. I headed out the long driveway from work one day and the engine stumbled so I kicked it down a gear and it took off... on the rear wheel. I went the full length of the 250 footdriveway and just got the front end down in time to brake before going into the ditch on the other side of the road.
That wasn't the first time it had come up unexpectedly but it was the worst and last. I went down a tooth on front and up a tooth on back. It didn't come up as easily but I did get it up to 135 mph one afternoon... not one of my smartest moves.

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #349  

View attachment 807923

View attachment 807924
I'm sorry... I did the same thing with the boom on an x, but the door didn't come down. If a person was trying to catch that dumb cord on purpose it would take an hour:)

/ Stupid Things I Have Done #350  
Never mind the door, you're lucky that wasn't your head!!!!

I had an old 1973 Honda DOHC CB450. It was quick for it's size and notoriously hard handling. It also had carburetor issues. I headed out the long driveway from work one day and the engine stumbled so I kicked it down a gear and it took off... on the rear wheel. I went the full length of the 250 footdriveway and just got the front end down in time to brake before going into the ditch on the other side of the road.
That wasn't the first time it had come up unexpectedly but it was the worst and last. I went down a tooth on front and up a tooth on back. It didn't come up as easily but I did get it up to 135 mph one afternoon... not one of my smartest moves.
I took that same Yamaha DT250 out onto some trails. Started having fun. Got used to it. Started taking jumps faster and farther and hitting harder and not losing control. Really had a blast!

Got home and realized I'd shaken the filaments out of the headlight and all 4 turn signals. :rolleyes: