Subsoiler operation...question about the setup...

/ Subsoiler operation...question about the setup... #1  

Redbug

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3830HST
I have used this subsoiler some around the house to pull a few small stumps and out in the field. But, I've got a few questions on how to use it properly. This particular one hinges in the middle.

When I hook it up to the tractor, the top end is heavier than the lower end. That causes the bottom tooth to swivel up against the drawbar. When I lower the lift arms, the tooth does not contact the ground, thus not digging. Adjusting the top link does not seem to help.

I thru bolted the subsoiler near it's top arm, which stopped it from swivelling. It made it in effect one piece, and worked great.

However, I would like to know why it is designed that way, (to swivel, and be counter balanced that way in the first place). What do I need to make it work correctly without the bolt through the subsoiler arm?
Any zen subsoiler gurus out there?

First pic is the subsoiler in the up position. Notice how the tooth is swivelled up against the drawbar, from the counter balance of weight.

Second pic shows it in a lowered position. The tooth will not contact the ground, thus not digging.

Third pic shows it with the thru bolt I added...(the swivel arm top), holding it in an upright position.

Attachments

• Subsoiler 4-1-2008 002.jpg
    Subsoiler 4-1-2008 002.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 553
  • Subsoiler 4-1-2008 003.jpg
    Subsoiler 4-1-2008 003.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 571
  • Subsoiler 4-1-2008 007.jpg
    Subsoiler 4-1-2008 007.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 820
Last edited:
   / Subsoiler operation...question about the setup... #2  
I would think the "through-bolt" you mention needs to be taken out and reinserted so it goes through both the black piece and also the blue piece with the hole in it. The through bolt I think is a shear bolt.

You can see both holes in the final photo. That's my bet

/ Subsoiler operation...question about the setup... #3  
I've got one ALMOST identical. (It's RED though;)) I didn't like the way it tended to do what you describe, so I simply over-tightened the single bolt to where it wouldn't allow easy movement, and I'm satisfied. That one bolt should be a light grade bolt that will shear if the subsoiler hits that "immovable object".

I bought mine used, off of EBAY. I've seen a couple on dealer websites that claimed it to be an "FS" brand. Any idea what brand yours is? And where did it come from? I'm pleased with mine, but have no clue as to it's origin. (Other than from an old timer's barn in Bardstown Kentucky)

/ Subsoiler operation...question about the setup...
SixDogs,
Yes, the thru bolt near the arm bottom is a shear bolt. I just added another thru bolt near the top of the arm to keep it straight, so it would not swivel.

FarmWithJunk,
I will take out the top bolt and try tightning up on the shear bolt and see if that helps any better. I did not think of that. I wonder what the swivel's purpose really is? It is a brand called "Fred Cain". Leinbach sells them. They are well made and pretty heavy...probably over 100 pounds.

/ Subsoiler operation...question about the setup... #5  
Redbug said:
SixDogs,
Yes, the thru bolt near the arm bottom is a shear bolt. I just added another thru bolt near the top of the arm to keep it straight, so it would not swivel.

FarmWithJunk,
I will take out the top bolt and try tightning up on the shear bolt and see if that helps any better. I did not think of that. I wonder what the swivel's purpose really is? It is a brand called "Fred Cain". Leinbach sells them. They are well made and pretty heavy...probably over 100 pounds.

I'm familiar with Fred Cain products. Didn't realize this was one of their products.

/ Subsoiler operation...question about the setup... #6  
Am no expert, but I would think it was made to be bolted down.... the swivel option is likely for compacting for shipping or storage.

/ Subsoiler operation...question about the setup... #7  
Just finished helping a friend subsoil a garden in clay soil 100' x 200'. His garden has always held water after a rain but now after subsoiling........no standing water. I subsoiled the crap out of it more than 30" spacing. Felt good ripping through the soil. The faster the better and the dryer the soil the better.

/ Subsoiler operation...question about the setup... #8  
i believe the bottom bolt should be the shear bolt and the top one strong that it is the swivles when the bottom one shears.

/ Subsoiler operation...question about the setup... #10  
99396d1207086741-subsoiler-operation-question-about-setup-subsoiler-4-1-2008-007.jpg

I really like that design. I've looked at all the sub soilers guys have bought off the shelf or made and built huge strength into. Always in the back of my mind, I wondered "what if" and "immovable object" came together...
Having that black piece that pivots on an upper bolt with a weaker shear bolt down low, is a really clever design..

Nice implement. I want one...!:D