Subsoiler pipe layer build

/ Subsoiler pipe layer build #1  

ishiboo

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti NX6010HSTC, Cat 279c
I threw this attachment for my subsoiler together pretty quickly just to see if it would work and lay some line I wanted to bury... I had about 220' of line to bury from my wireless internet project (which I used my tractor for) that has been sitting on my lawn since I set it up last year. I was going to rent a trencher and bury a bunch of stuff at once, but I figured this could be quicker, easier and disturb the ground even less.

I wanted to use it to bury some water line as well, so I went with a 1.5" EMT. In retrospect I am not sure if it will work for the 1" waterline I had planned, as there is a lot of friction, but it worked GREAT for burying the wires I needed to bury. I pulled two direct burial Cat6's, as well as a 14-2 UF in case I ever want to put a small switch/camera/etc. at the pole, or make a Christmas tree light pole out of it.

It's amazingly fast, only thing I would change since I was working on a grass lawn is perhaps to add a coulter to the front for cutting the grass in front of it, which may have made it easier on the lawn.

Not sure if I'll take this off, weld it up for real and paint it up nice... or maybe build a 2" version.

IMG_5237.JPG
IMG_5238.JPG
IMG_5239.JPG
IMG_5240.JPG

/ Subsoiler pipe layer build #2  
Thanks for the reminder, I need to do this for some sprinkler lines. I'm leaning towards PVC. Any problems getting the depth you wanted?

/ Subsoiler pipe layer build #3  
Looks good. 2 questions.
1. Related to hawkeye's question: How easy was it to control the depth? I've got some invisible dog fence I need to bury, but only need to go down 4" or so.
2. What easy, what'd you do, to repair the lawn? Just drive back over it with the R4's?

Nelson

/ Subsoiler pipe layer build #5  
I used to make the same thing when I wired house with romex. They worked 'reel' good

/ Subsoiler pipe layer build #6  
I like it and have been thinking of doing the same thing thanks for your photos and the conduit idea I had not thought of using a conduit I was going to use a roller at the bottom.

Mike

/ Subsoiler pipe layer build #7  
Cool concept. An unroller might help the wire from bird nesting on you.

Rack-A-Tiers Thomas Wheeler Coil Spinner - CableOrganizer.com

It is cheap and easy to build one of those using one side of a wooden cable spool about 18"-24" in diameter. Take the flat round side of the spool and attach 3 pieces of light chain abot 2 foot long to the underside of the spool then attach a swiler snap clip to the free ends of all three chains. cut about 6 foot of chain and attach it to the snap clip. Put the triple chain through a roll of romex then throw the long chain over a rafter and back down to the snap clip. you can then easily pull wire off without kinks and snarls. Used this method to run hundreds of thousands of feet of romex over the years.