Suggestions for Lifting D-Rings?

/ Suggestions for Lifting D-Rings? #1  

My Hoe

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B3000HSDCC, BH77, 5' Belly Mower, 6' Hyd. Angle Plow
Hi All,

I've just added one of Ken's Bolt-On Hook's excellent clevis kits and, due to a helpful suggestion from a fellow TBN member (rScotty), I realize I need to get some "D-Rings" I can use with the nylon lifting slings I have, which have nylon loops at each end.

You can see the clevis kit I added in the attached pics. Unfortunately, I didn't take a pic of the clevis with the shackle I got with Ken's kit attached to it, but it's a standard (beefy) shackle that will work just fine with the clevis kit Ken shipped it with.

So I'd really appreciate it if folks would suggest the sizes/brands/models of D-Rings they've had success with, as I have a lot of heavy equipment I've got to unload from a trailer, using the BH77 mounted on our B3000HDCC as a "crane."

Oh--and if you could include links to sources (or at least name the suppliers) that would also be greatly appreciated!

My Hoe

Attachments

• BH Clevis--1.jpg
    BH Clevis--1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 79
  • B.H. Clevis--2--Side Shot.jpg
    B.H. Clevis--2--Side Shot.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 77
   / Suggestions for Lifting D-Rings? #2  
Not sure what it is that you describe as a "D" ring, GOOGLE searches always seem to turn up "shackles".... Got picture of device you are looking for?... Inquiring mind wants to know... THE "D" rings the come up (other than shackle) all seem to be weld on closed loop, don't see how you are going to "connect" to nylon web strap....Are you going to weld "D" rings on items you are lifting?.... Still going to need shackles...

Last edited:
   / Suggestions for Lifting D-Rings? #4  
Hi All,

I've just added one of Ken's Bolt-On Hook's excellent clevis kits and, due to a helpful suggestion from a fellow TBN member (rScotty), I realize I need to get some "D-Rings" I can use with the nylon lifting slings I have, which have nylon loops at each end.

You can see the clevis kit I added in the attached pics. Unfortunately, I didn't take a pic of the clevis with the shackle I got with Ken's kit attached to it, but it's a standard (beefy) shackle that will work just fine with the clevis kit Ken shipped it with.

So I'd really appreciate it if folks would suggest the sizes/brands/models of D-Rings they've had success with, as I have a lot of heavy equipment I've got to unload from a trailer, using the BH77 mounted on our B3000HDCC as a "crane."

Oh--and if you could include links to sources (or at least name the suppliers) that would also be greatly appreciated!

My Hoe
You simply need to buy based on the weight limit of the shackle. They are all weight rated.

/ Suggestions for Lifting D-Rings? #6  
I welded a D-ring to the back of the 12” bucket. For lifting. Also can attach a large shackle(s) to act like external bell ringer to help vibrate sticky clay out of the bucket.

/ Suggestions for Lifting D-Rings?
Not sure what it is that you describe as a "D" ring, GOOGLE searches always seem to turn up "shackles".... Got picture of device you are looking for?... Inquiring mind wants to know... THE "D" rings the come up (other than shackle) all seem to be weld on closed loop, don't see how you are going to "connect" to nylon web strap....Are you going to weld "D" rings on items you are lifting?.... Still going to need shackles...
WranglerX:

Thank you for clarifying my thought process. And as a PSA:

My previous post, boys and girls, is why one should not post on the interwebs after taking Ambien. (≧︿≦)

I "spaced out" and failed to realize that my original plan to use my slings two at a time, by slipping one loop through the other, to go onto the shackle on the bucket, would greatly limit adjustability of sling length. Also I forgot that I couldn't connect a welded ring (of any shape) to the closed loops at either sling end, other than in the manner described above. Duh! LOL

So you're right: I still need a big shackle or similar device to connect the nylon slings' loops onto the shackle that's hooked to the clevis on the backhoe bucket. (See attached pic for the shackle that goes on the clevis--it's on the top, left of the bucket and the pic was taken before I mounted the clevis to the bucket.)

How Big a Shackle To Hold Loops for 2" and 3" Wide Slings
?
I'm of the opinion that I could not fit two, let alone four, nylon sling loops onto the shackle pictured below, on my backhoe's bucket. So I believe I should have (as you say) another "D-Ring Shackle," albeit one big enough to put four, bulky 2" (or 3") nylon straps' loops onto at once.

Can anyone suggest what size shackle I would need for this application? And where to get one? (I found this shackle, with a 1.06" "mouth width," but I don't see a measurement for how wide the "belly" of the shackle is, so I can't really judge if I could get all for nylon loop ends on it at once or not: Crosby® Anchor Shackle - Bolt Type - 5/8" - G-2130 - 3.25 Ton)

Some Other Alternative to a Shackle?
I keep wondering if there's something like a huge carabiner that's actually rated for thousands of pounds, as my slings are (apparently, the slings' lifting capacities vary based upon whether they're used as "chokers" or in a vertical lift.)

Thanks again. (Still on sleep meds but hoping for better execution, on my part.)

Attachments

• B.H. Shackle.jpg
    B.H. Shackle.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 56
   / Suggestions for Lifting D-Rings?
I welded a D-ring to the back of the 12” bucket. For lifting. Also can attach a large shackle(s) to act like external bell ringer to help vibrate sticky clay out of the bucket.
I like your "...external bell ringer to help vibrate the sticky clay out of the bucket...." However, I don't think my neighbors would appreciate your creative ingenuity as much as I do. 😁

Last edited:
   / Suggestions for Lifting D-Rings? #10  
If you can weld & the bucket is stout enough ... a 3/4 D-ring will have a work load limit of 4+ ton & break strength of 13+ tons so lots of margin. I've had good results from Mytee on trailers.

If what you really want is a shackle (I'd stick to 3/4" as minimum):

I regular fit two lifting strap eyes over a 3/4" shackle but 4 would be tough.

Last edited: