Super c won稚 start

/ Super c won稚 start #1  

feleds

Bronze Member
Tractor
1953 Farmall super c
We were hauling firewood with my super c, it had started like it痴 suppose too . I turned off the tractor to unload. When we wanted to restart the C. All I heard was the starter working. It would not turn over. Battery was 12.6 volts. Any ideas what could be wrong

/ Super c won稚 start
One additional note. In order to finish working I did the old pop the clutch. It started each time

/ Super c won稚 start #3  
We were hauling firewood with my super c, it had started like itç—´ suppose too . I turned off the tractor to unload. When we wanted to restart the C. All I heard was the starter working. It would not turn over. Battery was 12.6 volts. Any ideas what could be wrong

One additional note. In order to finish working I did the old pop the clutch. It started each time

Had the old lady at the bait shop saw you out her window from across the road,she could give a more fact based description.

/ Super c won稚 start #4  
It took me a minute to decipher your comment, but I think I understand. The starter was spinning , but not turning over the engine. If that is so the bendix is not engaging and is stuck OR you are missing teeth on the flywheel. Try tapping the starter with a hammer before or while you are turning it over. If that does not work take the starter off and pry the bendix up and lube it. Check the flywheel while you do that and check for missing teeth. They only like to stop in a few spots so it could stop at the same spot several times in a row. If that does not work in needs o be disassembled , cleaned and lubes properly

/ Super c won稚 start #5  
This happens to C/SCs...the ring gear has worn, as has the end of the bendix...now the starter shoots forward, but does not engage the ring gear...simple...need to split the tractor, literally turn the ring gear over and it will start..also have the bendix/starter fixed....BobG in VA

/ Super c won稚 start
Thanks for your comments. We did check the flywheel did not see any missing teeth. We removed the starter it looked ok. When we put the starter back on and pulled the ring to start the tractor it did the same thing but when we tried to start again nothing happened. The starter did not work as it had. We are having the starter tested and the batt shows 12.3 volts

/ Super c won稚 start
Thanks for your response. This is mostly new to us. I trust this forum. We will look into the possibility of splitting the tractor. It’s a lot more than we are capable of doing so we’d have to hire someone to do it for us it just seems we get one thing fixed and we get another problem. I will relay what you have suggested thanks

/ Super c won稚 start #8  
Sounds like you did not get all the wires tight. Did the teeth look worn or ground down. You usually hear grinding and the outer edge of the flywheel is shiny if the flywheel is worn. Battery voltage when you are trying to start is more important than what it reads with no load. 12.5 or a bit higher would be a good battery reading with no load. My guess is still a sticky bendix

/ Super c won稚 start
We did check the tightness of our connections but we will again. My son is having the starter tested again. Thanks for your input

/ Super c won稚 start
The Bendix didn't need pried it just turned up by twisting. How or what might I use to lube it? WD-40 or 3:1 oil and above or below the Bendix gear or both? We did try tapping on starter as we tried starting but didn't help. Its a new battery as of February this year but even though testing at 12.2+V with no load we didn't test under load. Will take the battery to get tested in case my multimeter is malfunctioning or bad under load. I usually take the (-) battery cable off at the starter (has + ground) when storing it because we don't use the tractor that often but the day before these issues started I had bush hogged at high rpm for 3-4 hours and would have thought that would have been enough to charge the battery well enough to leave the cable on for the next day's use. It seems like a battery issue since we had the starter checked out fine about a year or so ago. Thanks again.