Swimming Pool options

/ Swimming Pool options #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
I have a small, in ground pool that I'm building myself. It's only 3 feet deep and 12x16 feet wide. It holds about 1,700 gallons. My original plan was to do salt water because I heard that it's safer for dogs to drink. Recently I've learned that the small amount of salt in a pool is still very corrosive and there are a lot of people that have switched to chlorine because of issues with the salt. I don't want to have chlorine because I think it's harmful to my dogs.

A friend that also shows Akita's has something called Nature2 for her in ground pool. It's a huge pool, and the water looks fantastic. I don't know all the details for her pool, but they are very happy with it and they are highly recommending it.

Does anybody know anything about Nature2 for swimming pools?

Is this too good to be true?

Home shows their products and I'm trying to read through it to see what I should get, or if I should go with them

Amazon.com : Nature2 W2171 Express Mineral Pool Sanitizer, Above Ground : Swimming Pool Cleaning Tools : Garden & Outdoor could it be this cheap and simple to have clear water for the summer?

Since my pool is not done, we just fill it for the weekend and then dump it, or add bromine tablets for my hot tub to the pool fountain, which gives me another week of use. This is very wasteful and I'm hoping to get to the point where I can fill it up and keep it full without it turning green on me. then when temps drop in the Fall, I'll drain it and keep it empty until it gets warm again the following year.

/ Swimming Pool options #2  
Does it turn green because it of algae growth, or because you’ve killed the algae and can now see it? If the later, the dead algae need to be filtered out to restore clarity.

/ Swimming Pool options
yes. I fill it with city water, and I need to find a way to kill any sort of growth that happens in water without using anything harmful to my dogs before it turns green, and keep it clear for all of summer. I have a nice filter system, but it plugs up with the algae if I don't drain it all the time and put new water in.

/ Swimming Pool options #4  
I have a 10' diameter x 3' deep box store pool that I dug into the ground. Holds about 1100 gallons. I have a sand filter on it running two hours a day. It stays clear for the most part, but gets junk falling and blowing into it. I skim that off with a net. While there has been some green residue on the bottom and sides, it has not gone 'green' this year yet after filling at the end of April. I use a few capfuls of Shock with an algaecide built in once a week or so. They say the water is safe after 15-20 minutes, but I'm not sure about dogs drinking it.

I found that for 1100 gallons, it was less costly to drain and refill once or twice a summer if necessary that spend so much on chemicals and treatments.

Not sure why yours would be going green every couple of weeks.

/ Swimming Pool options #5  
Why not use chlorine and an online chlorine feeder so that the dogs can't get at the tablets?
As I understand it, a properly setup chlorine dispenser won't hurt the dogs.

Aaron Z

/ Swimming Pool options #6  
About 10 years ago when I lived in Florida swimming pools were quite popular, but the chlorine was not. I talked to one person who was using silver & copper electrodes in the recirculating system instead of the chlorine. He said it worked well. I've never had a pool, but silver is used to kill bacteria type organisms while being safe for humans. Here's some info on it:

The silver in silverware

Even early civilizations knew the value of silver as a way to make utensils. But what they might not have realized is that silver is such a relatively safe metal that it actually has anti-septic properties. Bottom line: silver kills germs, bacteria, and fungi and even better, and avoids killing us because its toxicity is not at the level of other heavy metals.

Because of this, silver makes an ideal metal for us to use to touch our food. Even the ancient Phoenicians used silver to store wine, water, and vinegar, helping their drinks to retain their potency without spoiling. Before the development of antibiotics, silver was often used as a disinfectant.

Needless to say, silver逞エ properties have obvious implications in the kitchen. As antibiotics have developed, silver has fallen to the wayside in terms of its medicinal uses, but it continues to make a strong, durable kitchen utensil.

Silver is a relatively soft metal that, like gold, can be dented rather easily in its pure form. This is the reason for the 貔アite test where you bite down on a piece of gold in order to test its authenticity if it is soft enough to make a small dent in, you know you豎*e dealing with a fairly abundant amount of the metal.

Because silver is relatively soft, this precious metal will often actually appear in silverware as sterling silver, which is a mixture of silver and other metals that contains at least 92.5% silver. The addition of other metals helps give additional durability and hardness to the silverware.

If I were to get a pool, the silver ions is what I'd use, but I have no idea as to the cost. But, all the good reports I've heard about it, I wouldn't care about the cost.

/ Swimming Pool options #8  
Sunlight speeds up growth of algae very quickly. If you cover your pool with a dark cover that light cannot permeate and keep it covered you should notice a huge difference.

/ Swimming Pool options #9  
You should get it and plumb it in with unions on each end that way you can remove it completely if desired.

Go to Leslie Pool Supply there in Tyler. They should have empty tubes to fill and return to them to test your water.

Fill the pool in the afternoon and run the pump overnight to circulate. Take a sample the next day and see how much acid you need or whatever to get the PH right. Then you will need to shock it to kill everything including leftover algae on the walls from weekends past. Sunlight removes the chlorine fast so it will need tablets in a floater or a inline dispenser. And check it every day to adjust.

Buy a test kit if do not have one. Get a timer for the pump if you do not have yet as that is how the regulate the tablets by time running. You need to run it everyday.

Do not make my mistake and after a few weeks think you have it dialed in and only lift the cover on Friday after work to get it ready for the weekend. Since you have a hot tub you probably know all this already but just in case.

Also once it turns green a few times you might need to get a brush on a pole to loosen the stuff you can not see as you shock it to get it clear again.

/ Swimming Pool options #10  
Sunlight removes the chlorine fast so it will need tablets in a floater or a inline dispenser. And check it every day to adjust.

He doesn't want it chlorinated because of the dogs. That's the whole point of this thread.