Buying Advice Switch from LS to Deere?

/ Switch from LS to Deere? #11  
How many hours on the LS? If not too many keep what you have.

/ Switch from LS to Deere? #12  
Yep. Ya know what you have already with the LS. A workhorse that gets the job done. Keep what ya got and use those dollars that are burning a hole in your pocket for some new implements. Sounds like you’re getting a a consensus here.

/ Switch from LS to Deere? #13  
I know it's more money but you'll get a lot more with a 3033R.

/ Switch from LS to Deere? #14  
I know it's more money but you'll get a lot more with a 3033R.

Your are correct. However, Olympus is contemplating LESS.

LS R3039 Dimensions​

Wheelbase:65.4 inches
166 cm
Length:117.6 inches
298 cm
Width:54.3 inches
137 cm
Height (ROPS):92.6 inches
235 cm
Weight:2780 lbs
1261 kg

John Deere 3033R Dimensions​

Dimensions
Wheelbase:68 inches
172 cm
Length:127.2 inches
323 cm
Width:52.1 inches
132 cm
Height (ROPS):93.3 inches
236 cm
Height (cab):89.7 inches
227 cm
John Deere 3033R Weight
ROPS :3086 lbs
1399 kg
Cab :3748 lbs
1700 kg

There will not be much perishable plastic nor low tensile strength aluminum in the above Deere 3033R.............

The fundamental importance of TRACTOR WEIGHT eludes many tractor shoppers. Tractor capability is more closely correlated to tractor weight than any other specification.

Last edited:
   / Switch from LS to Deere? #15  
One thing that seems be getting overlooked is that the OP is considering a switch from a shuttle shift to an HST tractor. This might be a good time to make a switch. Resale and trade values are probably near peak on the LS, and if he can find a unit that someone wants to move he may still be able to get a good deal on the replacement. I picked up a 1023E with only 172 hours at the beginning of this month for about 15% less than most similar tractors are being advertised for. It's worth the OP's time to explore options right now. Having some actual numbers might make the decision easier.

Another option to throw out there is to pick up a used subcompact like I did to supplement my larger Bobcat. My situation is similar in that I live on 3 acres and maintain a separate larger parcel. Having both sizes can come in real handy if you have the storage space..

Last edited:
   / Switch from LS to Deere? #16  
Jeff you're right but I wasn't thinking weight, rather other enhancements like 3 range E-hydro (vs 2 range conventional hydro), more lift capacity, made in USA (I believe the 3E is manufactured in Mexico), deluxe features , etc.

/ Switch from LS to Deere? #17  
The debate between plastic and steel panels has been debated, same between aluminum and cast components. My opinion is there is no clear winner if the design is good. That said it seems like step down, but not a very big step down. Something like a 2032r might be better suited for your smaller property but then you still have your larger property. Unless you really want a new tractor and have the cash, I’d also keep what you have.

Last edited:
   / Switch from LS to Deere? #18  
Hey guys I've been doing something thinking about trading tractors. I currently have a 2013 LS R3039 shuttle shift and it's been a great tractor, only thing I've ever had to do was put a new battery on it last year. It has 39hp and a 4-cylinder Mitsubishi engine that is pre-emission regulation. At the time, I was living on 6 acres and I was maintaining a gravel driveway that was regularly prone to wash-outs, I was doing a lot of material moving with the bucket for various projects, and I was bush hogging about 3 acres. I also had bought a 100 acre hunting property and I was using the tractor to establish food plots, cut new trails, and bush hog and maintain existing trails.

I have since moved to a newer, less maintenance home on 3.5 acres in a subdivision. I have a concrete driveway now and I only have about 1.5 acres of woods behind the house to maintain with a bush hog. I still have the 100 acre hunting property, but I've cut all the trails I need so now most of the work is just bush hogging the trails once a year to keep them from growing up again. I also have been renting a rotary tiller every 3 years to till up the food plots for reseeding. So my overall needs for a 39hp tractor have lessened considerably. I'm at a point now where I've been thinking about slightly downsizing, but getting into a newer tractor with the iMatch hitch and just getting two new attachments that I would need to use instead of the mismatched, beat up, worn out stuff that I have now.

I've been thinking about trading for a Deere 3032E and getting a new bush hog and a grader blade. Interested to hear people's thought's on my idea. Thanks!

I wouldn't make that trade. I have run a New Holland Boomer 50 which is simply an LS R4047 in a darker blue and with a different loader. This is the same tractor as yours but with the "pump turned up," it has the 47 HP fuel setting on the four-cylinder Mitsubishi and also has the same four-speed/four range gear transmission. It is a solid tractor and a decent size for running a 5-6' bush hog, blade, and tiller.

The Deere 3E is not that much smaller than the LS is, although it is quite a bit lighter. The loader on the Deere is much less capable. You can only get a hydrostatic transmission on the Deere 3E which in my book is a negative, particularly if you are doing things like running a bush hog and tiller where you go at the same speed for some period of time. The iMatch is simply a category I 3-point quick hitch, which you can get for your current LS if you want. If you downsize to the Deere 3E, or really any compact tractor larger than a subcompact (e.g. Deere 1 series) , it will still be too big to use well in a 3.5 acre subdivision lot. If there is a decision to make, it would be to either keep the LS or simply sell it outright and rent a tractor for a day or two every year for the hunting property.

/ Switch from LS to Deere? #19  
Sounds like you have been happy with LS. And also the LS dealer. Those are the best answer to your question. I too recommend "Keep your LS."

/ Switch from LS to Deere? #20  
I agree stay with the LS