Synthetic in my Honda Foreman

/ Synthetic in my Honda Foreman #1  

hudr

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 5005DI
Ok, I ran synthetic oil in a bike I had before and within a month I was replacing the clutch pack (wet clutch). Repairman at the local Honda shop blamed the synth oil. Now, I have a Honda Foreman and I know the synth would be better for the engine but I don't want to burn up the clutch. Any thoughts, comments either way? This ATV is a tool on the farm. I don't submerge it or mud it so I am not worried about the costs of an emergency oil change on the uphill side of some mudpit. I am just concerned about the effects of the synth on the clutch pack.
Thanks

/ Synthetic in my Honda Foreman #2  
A month ago I purchased a Yamaha Raptor and it states in the owners manual not to use an oil that is better quality than what it comes with. The dealer said that a premium synthetic oil would be too slippery for the manual clutch.

Mike

/ Synthetic in my Honda Foreman #3  
Newblue said:
A month ago I purchased a Yamaha Raptor and it states in the owners manual not to use an oil that is better quality than what it comes with. The dealer said that a premium synthetic oil would be too slippery for the manual clutch.

I was told the same thing by Yamaha delaer for my Grizzly - no synthetic as it may be too slipery for the auto clutch on it.

/ Synthetic in my Honda Foreman #4  
I have a yamaha kodiak , I've had castrol syn. in it for several years , no problems so far ..........knock on wood

/ Synthetic in my Honda Foreman #5  
Since the clutch and engine share the same oil. The "MOLY" in the oil is what causes the clutch to slip or so im told. Ive read it amny times on ATV forums.

I do use regular 10w-40 but it does not contain moly or it has not cuased any problems so far. Supertech $1.20 a quart.

/ Synthetic in my Honda Foreman
Found the answer to my own question: Apparently the "friction modifiers" in some oils are what trashes wet clutches. Shell Rotella 5w40 synthetic has none of these (according to their website) so it should be safe for a wet clutch. This was buried in their own forum/faq section.
Thanks for all the replies.

/ Synthetic in my Honda Foreman #7  
Check the amsoil web site. Amsoil has an ATV synthetic oil that is compatible with a wet clutch. I run this in both of my polaris' & have sold it to others in our ATV club.