Synthetic oil in engines with no oil filter?

/ Synthetic oil in engines with no oil filter? #1  

MNBobcat

Platinum Member
My son in-law claims that you shouldn't run synthetic oil in any engine that does not have an oil filter. I can understand that, possibly, if someone were letting the engine run way longer than the recommended oil change. Because with no filter you would have metal particles circulating and so even with synthetic you would need to change it frequently. Beyond that, I can think of no reason not to run synthetic as long as the synthetic has all the certifications for the engine.

Anyone know anything about that? I didn't find anything specific via google or by searching here. I think he is wrong.

Thanks!

/ Synthetic oil in engines with no oil filter? #2  
I've been running amsoil 10w30 in my 1977 sears 16/6 for over 10 years, no filter & change it in the fall. Same goes for the push mower & generator.

/ Synthetic oil in engines with no oil filter? #3  
I have never heard anything about that on the several forums that i frequent daily.. this is even after TONS of generator forums right after the derecho and a lot of discussions regarding the best oil and frequency of changes

Brian

/ Synthetic oil in engines with no oil filter? #4  
Your son-in-law is misinformed. Synthetic oil lubricates critical engine components better, with or without an oil filter.

/ Synthetic oil in engines with no oil filter? #5  
Where I bought my Honda mower in 1989, they sell Opti4 oil, a synthetic, and that's what they recommend, and I use, no problems.

/ Synthetic oil in engines with no oil filter? #6  
The only reason that I can think of would be that if it is an older engine that has used dino oil all it's life and/or the oil changes were sporadic then the synthetic will start dissolving all of the old buildup in the engine and it would be floating around in there. That's where the old tale of "don't use synthetic in an old engine because it will make your seals leak" comes from. It won't "make" them leak but it will clean the buildup off of them and if they are bad they will leak.

/ Synthetic oil in engines with no oil filter? #7  
I think it is just an extra expense. With no filter the oil will carry the same load of contaminants,be it dino or syn. The engine was designed to run on any oil meeting a particular spec,any benefit derived from syn,due to a few degrees cooler or"better" lubricated would be miniscule at best.

These statements are merely my opinion and worth exactly what you paid for them!

/ Synthetic oil in engines with no oil filter? #8  
Most synthetic oils today are really just higher refined dino oil. Some like amzoil are still full synthetic but the major oil companies are not truly synthetic.