Synthetic oil use on older air cooled engine

/ Synthetic oil use on older air cooled engine #1  

Rowski

Veteran Member
Tractor
2004 New Holland TN70DA with 32LC loader, 2000 New Holland 2120 with Curtis cab, 7309 loader
Is there any reason NOT to use synthetic engine oil on an older Onan twin clyinder air cooled engine with 900 hrs on it. Its on a John Deere 318. The reason for going to synthetic is the tractor is going to be used to snow blow and will be stored outside. It will be started when needed even in below zero weather.

Thanks...

/ Synthetic oil use on older air cooled engine #2  
Sometimes the synthetic can act as a bit of a solvent loosenting up crud that may have accumulated on the oil pan or in the passages in the engine. Probably less of a problem if the motor is splash lubricated instead of pressure lubed.

Solution: Change the oil more frequently when you switch to look for the crud.

How's the skiing this season? I've begun training to be a ski patroller at the local mountain (known as the Bradford Bump) A whopping 250ft of vertical lift. 13 trails & 13 lifts. So far 40+ inches of snow (unusual in North East Mass) Hoping to get up your way this winter

/ Synthetic oil use on older air cooled engine #3  
I have been told that once you start using it, you need to stick with it (don't remember why, though....) Obviously more $, but I don't think I use quite 2 quarts in my garden tractors Kohler twin. I like the added assurance of a synthetic - it makes me feel all warm and viscous inside/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif.
Mark

/ Synthetic oil use on older air cooled engine
Hazmat

I thought that might happen. I'll spin on a new fillter and fresh oil in a about 10hrs. This engine has a pressurized system with a filter. Actually the filter fits the common Toyota engines so its relatively big in comparison to the amount of oil (just shy of 2 qts).

250 vertical feet... One hell of a sliding hill /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif ! Better than nothing.
I have thought about doing the same here at Jay Peak. More so to get a family seasons pass. Nik will be skiing before I know it! The valleys look pretty bleak, snow covered but not as much as it should be. The mountain is had got a lot more. From what I hear skiing is great, this last week has seen a few inches of snow every day.

Let me know if you come up. Stop by the shop, if I'm not busy at work maybe we could catch a cup of coffee. If you can swing it come during the mid-week, no lift lines at all. It takes you longer to ski through the corral.

/ Synthetic oil use on older air cooled engine #5  
Been a while Derek..hope your doing better.

Sure do miss your plowing photos etc..and lets hope this won't be another 2000 winter. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

/ Synthetic oil use on older air cooled engine
No pictures to post... Not much snow... Enough to plow but nothing like 2000 /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif.

/ Synthetic oil use on older air cooled engine #7  
I have a lawnmower with a 20 HP Kohler Command twin cylinder engine. This isn't an old engine, but I wanted to use synthetic oil in it . I talked to my local Kohler repair person on three different occasions and according to him it was discussed at a regional meeting (inservice) with other Kohler techs. He claims that the synthetic oil allows the engine to warm up too rapidly and that this detracts from proper engine operation because of varying rates of expansion and contraction. Components need to warm up gradually and with more uniformity than synthetic oil allows. I trust this gentlemen; he has a long-established business with an excellent reputation, his work for me has been outstanding, and he seems to be knowledgeable about all aspects of Kohlers, but I really wonder about this reason. This does not seem like a valid reason to use petroleum-based oil. It seems more like the kind of response I used to get from Ford and Chrysler--"The company has not tested synthetic oil and therefore does not recommend its use." Another interesting statement from the Kohler people is that 10W-30 oil is to be used instead of straight 30W because the additives are necessary to properly lubricate the overhead valves. Huh? Well, maybe, OK, hmmmmmmmm. I'm just the owner; I didn't design the engine.

/ Synthetic oil use on older air cooled engine #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have been told that once you start using it, you need to stick with it (don't remember why, though....) )</font>

<font color="red">No truth to that. I have used synthetics since 1976 and nver had any problems what-so-ever. </font>