T Post Drivers

/ T Post Drivers #12  
Agreed. To keep the T post from bending, I made a pipe sheath to go over the post long enough to just kiss the ground when post is driven all the way into the ground. Cap the end of the pipe sheath with flat piece of metal. Takes two, one to drive tractor, other to place the post and hold until bottom of bucket meets the post driver. Watch front wheels...if post hits a rock, they will come off ground and post will bend/become dangerous.

just use the flat bottom of your bucket

/ T Post Drivers #13  
I do like the swivel that slips on the bucket. However this is useless for me: #1 I work by myself and #2 by the time I position the tractor I can have the post in the ground. Now If my shoulder is giving me problems and the ground is in the blackland, instead of the sand area on my place, I would use my small yamaha generator, air compressor and and a pneumatic post driver like Milkman mentions above.

/ T Post Drivers #14  
When something goes wrong like the post bending or the bucket slipping off , the person on the ground better not be someone you like.

This is my experience. When the post hits a rock the front wheels go up in the air and the tractor becomes unstable, if the post bends the bucket can move several feet very quickly and endanger someone standing nearby. I've read of people being killed when the tractor rolled over doing this.

/ T Post Drivers #15  
I use something similar to that mansaver. Mine is called the stricker. Runs off of a small compressor. Works pretty good and I can do it myself.

/ T Post Drivers #16  
I've been looking at the air powered post drivers but haven't decided on which one I like the best. I've tried using the loader bucket, but really don't care for that method at all. Seems like more work positioning and trying to keep everything lined up then just pounding them in with a T post pounder. I have a fair amount of T posts to put in over the next couple of years and I think for efficiency, it's going to be worthwhile. Just need to decide on what brand and model is the best one out there.

Eddie

/ T Post Drivers #17  
Eddie,
I've never seen an air powered post driver but I'm guessing they would work like a pile driver - correct? If that's the case - I'm thinking would this air powered driver be any easier to use or any easier on the 'ol bod than a standard manual pounder?? Here, I'm slowly but surely replacing the wooden angle brace fence posts with T-posts. I bore a 2" hole in the bedrock with a portable (ha,ha,ha) jack hammer, knock off the T-post bottom plate, instal & follow with a sand/cement fill mixture. It's going to take me another 3-4 years to have all metal T-posts. And that only if that d**n jack hammer doesn't tear my arms off.

/ T Post Drivers #18  
Tried the bucket method without the pounder(T post holder) you show and was not able to get vineyard posts in by pushing. If you have no rocks and soft ground I think that gizmo would be a good holder for pressing in. I ended up with an Atlas Copco hydraulic pounder that uses my tractor hydraulics to pound in my posts. This pounder uses 2000 blows per minute which means it uses small quick powerful blows which in my mind gives you better control to set posts firmly plumb.

/ T Post Drivers #19  
Eddie, I'm in same boat.. Probably have 3/4 to 1 mile of fence to do over time and want something that can be mobile and get into tight spots if necessary. Not sure the cost but I'm partial to this one so far. Like the air hammer concept vs the bouncey approach.

Home - Power Post Driver Inc.

/ T Post Drivers #20  
If the air post driver works as well as those air palm nail drivers, that would be great.