T273 Broke down

/ T273 Broke down #1  

Gregster613

Platinum Member
Southern Ca. halfway up a mountain in rural Ramona
Tractor
273 TYM. 2009 //Yardmachines 7 Speed Shift-on-the-goScotts L2048
Hi all, I thought I needed to post that I suffered a - what should be a "minor" break down - and what is turning into a problem.

I'm on x-mas break, trimming trees at home using the loader, pallet forks, and a pallet to lift me higher into the trees. This is not a problem, it's something I quite frequently do. I finished up in the small area I was at, went to move the tractor and quite a racket arose from the engine compartment. It just started making the racket when I started it up to move!? I shut it back down, went to see what was the cause, and saw that my water pump was wobbling on the shaft! I quickly moved my rig to the garage and began to dissemble.

Yes the water pump had failed. Making much noise, but not obviously leaking. Shucks, I thought it would be a simple replacement and back up running. Should be, normally would be, and isn't! Due to being the Holiday's and then factor in Covid19 -- nothing is an easy quick fix. Grrr!

I found an exact 'parts matching number' water pump on ebay so I ordered it. It came rather quickly and I was pleased. Get it out of the box and yes it is the exact pump I need -- except -- this pump has a more robust (larger diameter) shaft than my original, so my pulley won't fit. Bummer, to say the least!

This pump is set-up for a "bolt-on" pulley, my original was a "press-on" and I don't know if parts have changed in 10 years or not. All I do know is that this WP shaft is too large for my pulley. I don't have a lathe or machine shop so I cannot change my original pulley, or shaft, to make it fit. Bummer. I did make contact with a TYM seller on the east coast and they are looking into what TYM Corp has to offer, but meanwhile I wait, and wait, and wait some more. Waiting gets old FAST.

My original pump has a shaft diameter of approx. 04.75" or 12.05MM. New pump shaft is approx. 0.625" or 15.95MM. If I changed over to a "bolt-on" pulley, then the pulley opening would need to be approx. 0.942" or 24.00mm to fit over the hub on the shaft bracket.
I'd really rather find a way to make this ebay pump work - as I feel it's a better pump since the internals are larger, they must be stronger?

I envy you guys with the knowledge, lathes, and machine shop set-up's! I know you'd have just turned down the pump shaft or enlarged the old pulley and be up and running. I don't have that ability; thus I wait for the holidays to get fully over so I can "Try" to reach some dealer whom has a clue how to get semi-regularly replace parts.

For you guys that say that's what you get for buying an unknown - I hear you and can somewhat agree. Although my TYM has not let me down seriously for 11 years, just replacing a water pump has become an issue for me. I see many, many different pumps on ebay for JD, Ford, Kubota, etc., etc. But, with patience, and waiting, I "hope" to be back to tractor operating "sometime" in 2021.

Sorry. My rant is over now, my patience yoga is beginning, and I am calm, calm, calm. I will attach some pictures since I have figured out how to do that at least. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to follow for all!! Greg

Attachments

• IMG_0036.JPG
    IMG_0036.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0039.JPG
    IMG_0039.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0033.JPG
    IMG_0033.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0032.JPG
    IMG_0032.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 115
   / T273 Broke down #2  
Hi all, I thought I needed to post that I suffered a - what should be a "minor" break down - and what is turning into a problem.

I'm on x-mas break, trimming trees at home using the loader, pallet forks, and a pallet to lift me higher into the trees. This is not a problem, it's something I quite frequently do. I finished up in the small area I was at, went to move the tractor and quite a racket arose from the engine compartment. It just started making the racket when I started it up to move!? I shut it back down, went to see what was the cause, and saw that my water pump was wobbling on the shaft! I quickly moved my rig to the garage and began to dissemble.

Yes the water pump had failed. Making much noise, but not obviously leaking. Shucks, I thought it would be a simple replacement and back up running. Should be, normally would be, and isn't! Due to being the Holiday's and then factor in Covid19 -- nothing is an easy quick fix. Grrr!

I found an exact 'parts matching number' water pump on ebay so I ordered it. It came rather quickly and I was pleased. Get it out of the box and yes it is the exact pump I need -- except -- this pump has a more robust (larger diameter) shaft than my original, so my pulley won't fit. Bummer, to say the least!

This pump is set-up for a "bolt-on" pulley, my original was a "press-on" and I don't know if parts have changed in 10 years or not. All I do know is that this WP shaft is too large for my pulley. I don't have a lathe or machine shop so I cannot change my original pulley, or shaft, to make it fit. Bummer. I did make contact with a TYM seller on the east coast and they are looking into what TYM Corp has to offer, but meanwhile I wait, and wait, and wait some more. Waiting gets old FAST.

My original pump has a shaft diameter of approx. 04.75" or 12.05MM. New pump shaft is approx. 0.625" or 15.95MM. If I changed over to a "bolt-on" pulley, then the pulley opening would need to be approx. 0.942" or 24.00mm to fit over the hub on the shaft bracket.
I'd really rather find a way to make this ebay pump work - as I feel it's a better pump since the internals are larger, they must be stronger?

I envy you guys with the knowledge, lathes, and machine shop set-up's! I know you'd have just turned down the pump shaft or enlarged the old pulley and be up and running. I don't have that ability; thus I wait for the holidays to get fully over so I can "Try" to reach some dealer whom has a clue how to get semi-regularly replace parts.

For you guys that say that's what you get for buying an unknown - I hear you and can somewhat agree. Although my TYM has not let me down seriously for 11 years, just replacing a water pump has become an issue for me. I see many, many different pumps on ebay for JD, Ford, Kubota, etc., etc. But, with patience, and waiting, I "hope" to be back to tractor operating "sometime" in 2021.

Sorry. My rant is over now, my patience yoga is beginning, and I am calm, calm, calm. I will attach some pictures since I have figured out how to do that at least. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to follow for all!! Greg

Have you tried a local NAPA parts store or similar if their machine shop could help you?

/ T273 Broke down #3  
Good luck finding what you need. Wish I could help.

/ T273 Broke down
Thanks Bud Soda. On e-bay, I think I found a pulley that will work. It's on it's way to me now and I will know for sure once it gets here. It's supposed to fit my new pump (from e-bay) and cost $80.00. The e-bay pump costed $60.00; so if all goes as hoped/planned I should soon be back up and running for $140.00.

I was quoted $251.00 for a pump from TYM. When I asked the dealer to confirm the size of shaft inside the pump, and if it was for a "Press-on" pulley -- I haven't heard anything back. I told them that if it wasn't press-on (or was a larger shaft diameter) then I'd need a pulley to fit also. I was just concerned that perhaps TYM had done some kind of unlisted update to their pump and I didn't want to spend that much money if it had the same sized (larger) shaft that the pump I already have in my hands has.

I'm fairly certain my coming pulley will work, just waiting for a few more days to receive it and then I'll know for sure. Once I get it all worked out I'll report back as up and running. I'm getting used to tracking down and "making" work available parts from as local sources as I can find. Went to the auto store to find as close to correct bends as I could so I can make new upper and lower hoses also. It will get fixed. Just is taking time.
Hope you've been well Bud, it's been quite some time since we last conversed. Take care, Greg

/ T273 Broke down
An update to report.....I'm back up and running!! I just got done replacing practically everything, ran it up to temp, saw zero leaks and believe it will be fully functional finally.
I ended up replacing the Thermostat housing (old one was badly pitted), Thermostat itself, used the new pump I got off e-bay, and the replacement pulley that fits the new pump (also from e-bay) [which required modification to the four bolt holes to fit] I should have taken some pictures to show you but I was so involved in getting it to fit that I didn't think to take any. Sorry for that.
The holes didn't "quite line up, and rather than just enlarging them, I rotated the pulley and just drilled new holes. This pully is slightly larger than the original so I needed to also find a new belt to fit it. Napa had one that works - although it could have been 1/2" - 3/4" shorter. It works fine anyhow. Now if I ever need to replace it again it should be an easy manner to fit up a replacement.

I must also add that I must be (at 65) an old-timer. While I was down I searched various other water pumps and prices; and was somewhat shocked at the prices they are commanding!! It seems that TYM's price of $251.00 for a stupid WP is not that far off from others. I haven't bought a WP in years and was expecting to see $50 - $60.00 as normal. I know that everything changes and prices increase, but what the heck, triple digits for a WP?? So I made sure to store/save the original pulley in case I ever need to go back to original.
My tally - WP $60.00, pulley $90.00, Housing & thermostat $30.00, belt $30.00 for total of $210.00 for materials. If I factored in the time spent working, modifying, and waiting I'd be far over $251.00. If I'd just gone with the TYM pump I wouldn't have spent the $90.00 for the pulley, but I still would have needed all the other parts.

My thoughts are simply these. Owning an Korean manufactured machine means sometimes needing to use Yankee ingenuity to repair rare breakdowns. With the current Covid19 dilemma all parts ordered will require wait time to get, if they can even be gotten! My responses from e-bay were fairly swift. The longest wait time I had was for the pulley to arrive. But I didn't order it until after I'd received the WP and realized I'd need it. If I'd known when I ordered the WP and ordered it then also, I'd have saved at least a week of time. Live and learn. I'm just happy to report being back in the operator's seat again!!!

Thanks to all whom chimed in advice. I used all I was told. The grease on the gaskets was a "big" plus, and seems to have worked swell. Of course, I've yet to fully run it hard for a projected time frame, but as of now I don't expect any adverse reactions. Once our rain stops I've got a lot of work lined up and I will soon know if it holds up or fails again. It'll hold up. I'm confident!! Thanks to all, Greg